Female only classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiver,
My wife recently taught an all women class for a club here that promotes women's and girl's sports.
They were very enthusiastic when approached with the idea (mine :) ), and the participants had a great time. You should definitely check out similar clubs and organizations in your area. Very often, these groups are looking for new fun things to do.

Neil

I started my Dive Travel Business with "Women Only" trips. We had a blast! I was always the most "girly" in the group, and I never wore makeup. So sorry you had the wrong experience with it, Dee.
Now, we "allow" men on our trips, and I still don't wear makeup!

:gorgeous:

Originally posted by Natasha
I started my Dive Travel Business with "Women Only" trips. We had a blast! I was always the most "girly" in the group, and I never wore makeup. So sorry you had the wrong experience with it, Dee.
Now, we "allow" men on our trips, and I still don't wear makeup!

:gorgeous:

The all-girl trip was one hosted by our dive shop. I'd probably try another if everyone was chosen for their abilities and desire to dive instead of getting away from SO's and flirting with anything in pants! The Make-up Queens were determined to seduce the DM's on the trip. Those Mayan men have wives and children and are not attracted to forward gringo women at all!

I appreciate all the input both positive and honest.

My SO and I are planning on opening a new type of shop in our area dedicated to technical diving, with another partner.

My SO suggested female only classes as he has perceived a need for it over his 20 years of teaching experience. I wanted some input on how to market this type of format.

I would like more women to take part in this sport for the fun of it, not as a pick up joint.

I'll keep hoping for more responses.

Thank you in advance.

using my SO computer so it registers me as conch...actually girldiver...just to clarify....

Hi there...
I just wanted to chime in... I've become very interested in women only activities... and I am an avid diver (rescue-diver certified) . Some of you may have seen that I am leading a group of women on a trip to Hawaii next month. Part of the group are newbies -- never evers and will be doing an open water course while there. Another part of the group are certified divers and they will be joining me on a variety of dives.

I also have recently returned from a liveaboard in Belize. I dive much more than my husband, so I often found myself diving with men on the boat. I must say, that the most fun dives I had were with another woman. She was working on photography, so she and I went out with our cameras, and just had wonderful, relaxing, dives! Great fun!.

So, I'm fine to dive with a co-ed group --- and yes, if I breathe it, I carry it -- I like to do my own set up, and prefer to shed my gear without assistance. And, I also enjoy women only settings; I think the atmosphere is a bit more supportive.

Hell, just give me air and put me under water and I'm happy!

Liz

Girldiver13,

I never considered taking an all female training course in diving - because I have never seen it offered. But now that you mention it, I would definitely consider it if I saw it offered as a class. Though I don't mind the macho stuff (I'ved tuned it out), sometimes I just want a more supportive atmosphere where I feel more comfortable to learn and share (same reasons why I am currently looking into an all female camping course).

Sunshine :)

Ok, I switched gender for race so you can see how it looks.

As a guy, I continue to be absolutely amazed what the siege mentality is of women who do everything they can to surround themselves with things identified as women only and exclude men. Then on the other hand, they sue to insiunate themselves into male bastions like women sports reporters suing for access to mens pro football locker rooms where the guys are naked. Then they sue for sexual harassment if a naked guy in the locker room makes a sexual comment. These women are called "civil rights pioneers". If male reporters sued to get into a female locker room, he would be called a pervert, creep and a lurker".

As an example, my wife buys shaving cream allegedly made just for women, which is a crock-shaving cream is shaving cream. She buys all kinds of nonsense that is identical to guy stuff. She admits intellectually she knows it is the same ingredients, but she gets suckered into it.

The things women do as a result of a lack of testosterone and a more abundant estrogen level does not make me not want to hang around them because of all the "emotional baggage" (an inverse play off of "macho").

I think it is neat that women do adventure activities, and I think it is cool when women voluntarily join their guys in activities that are mutually enjoyable and cement their relationships.

But you don't see guys rushing to join "men only gyms" (except in West Hollywood), we don't come out with Mens Entertainment TV channels, we don't get exasperated when women "hit on us", I didn't scream rape and file a lawsuit against a women on a dive boat that flashed me or on another boat, pressed her bare breast through her t-shirt against the back of my hand.....gosh, I felt so "violated"...right!

Maybe guys just enjoy women more in than women in the U.S. enjoy men....I say that because women in the U.S. seem to like to look at nude and near nude women an awful lot, evidence by Cosmo, Vogue, Ujena, etc., yet they ridicule men in Speedo's, whereas in Europe, the Mediteranean and South America, women love to see guys in small thin Speedo's.

When I proposed paraglider training for the day with my wife for something to different to do, I am glad she went along and gave it a try-she was unsafe, dangerous and didn't have the aptitude to do it safely, so rather than pushing her and ridiculing her, I told her I was glad she didn't proceed.

As to carrying heavy tanks, many women want it both ways, they claim they want equality and they can handle anything themselves, then they either complain men are helping too much, unless of course it is too heavy or the tire needs changing, then all of a suddent feminist equality is thrown right out the door when it is convenient, same goes for when the expensive dinner date bill comes around.

As far as being "hit upon", geez, count your blessings for christ's sake! I had many female friends at dance clubs who would have loved to have guys pay as much attention to them as their good looking girlfriends. When I clubbed, I made it a point that when there were 2 girls together, I would ask the more average looking one to dance. Watching a woman's spirit light up when I did that was really a beautiful thing. They usually had the more attractive personality anyway. So consider yourself privileged and lucky if guys find you attractive, many women would love to have your "problem".

I do understand wanting to be with people at your own skill lever and skill advancement pace though.

There, now that is my rant. In tomorrow's episode, I will tell all how I really feel!, lol

:wink:

I have no problem with co-ed classes, but I was the only woman in a class. The problem was that we were split into small groups and I was paired with a guy that was about 6'4" and weighed about 300lbs. I'm 5' and 125lbs. It was EXTREMELY funny (after the fact) to have to "rescue" this particlular diver. You should have seen me trying to drag him through the water on the surface. We didn't actually drop weight belts because we were in a murky lake and the bottom was covered in plants. I can laugh about it now, but it almost did me in.

I would, however, love to go on a women only trip if as Dee said the women were fun to dive with and not interested in looking pretty.

The only problem I have with diving with some men, is that they think they have to explain absolutely everything to me, like I don't have a brain, or like I couldn't possibly have learned anything in class. I know I'm a newbie, but I am actually able to dive. If I need help, I'll ask, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom