Female solodivers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoseidonSv

Registered
Reaction score
I never met any female solodiver.

Maybe it is less common for women than for men to go solodiving.

Also personally i think its attractive with strong independant women that does the things they like for themselves.

I can't say i've given this any degree of thought but I don't think there are any gender specifc reasons to dive solo.

My guess would be that solo divers, especially admitted solo divers, are probably one of the smallest segments of the diving population. And, if this board is any indication, a lot of solo divers trace their roots back to a time when there were very few women divers. Couple that with the fact that all training curriculums still warn against solo diving, I wouldn't expect to find too many women solo divers.

P.S.
There are solo diving specialty certifications, i even have one; that's not the same as having a curriculum. Further, there is a school of thought that sees the notion of formal training as counter to the solo diver mindset.

Doc Intrepid:
Most women are smarter than most men...maybe that explains it! :wink:

Are you suggesting I'm an idiot! Them's fighting words. Choose your weapons...

My #1 buddy Andrea solo dives on occasion. However we would both much rather dive with one another, but that hasn't been easy the past six months since she moved to the mountains (Big Bear) and I'm not into ice diving!

drbill:
Are you suggesting I'm an idiot! Them's fighting words. Choose your weapons...
Heh, ...'hard salamis at dawn on the beach!' First we fight, then we sit down and have breakfast!

Naaah, I'm just stirring the pot. I'm sure you're pretty cautious! :) There are obviously legit reasons for solo diving; research, photogs, hunting, shell-collecting, and post-traumatic stress therapy to name a few! :wink: I'm merely expressing an opinion that for whatever reason, unless solo diving is done in a relatively benign environment like the deep end of a pool or the shallow end of the spectrum, in general for many divers its a pretty dumb idea. You're exposing yourself to a lot of risk and often (but not always) for needless reasons. There are literally thousands of things, foreseeable and unforeseeable, that could go wrong. To suppose that you're prepared to survive all of them alone is generally pretty arrogant. So for most guys its a gamble right up there with playing Russian roulette. Do you have a right to? Sure, have at it. Does that make it a bright thing to do? For most guys, probably not.

If you're gonna do it fine...just realize that at least in the ocean its a calculated risk with a large element of gambling that you'll avoid any non-survivable encounters.

(Like a few other things in life that come to mind!... :D )

Doc Intrepid:
Heh, ...'hard salamis at dawn on the beach!' First we fight, then we sit down and have breakfast!

Naaah, I'm just stirring the pot. I'm sure you're pretty cautious!

If you're gonna do it fine...just realize that at least in the ocean its a calculated risk with a large element of gambling that you'll avoid any non-survivable encounters.

(Like a few other things in life that come to mind!... :D )

Um, couldn't we eat breakfast first... just in case you win!

Back on topic... I've always considered most women to be better buddies than most men. I dive with them almost exclusively when I'm buddied up (but have a few male buddies I enjoy diving with as well).

Women seem to be more tuned in to relationships... buddy, ecological, etc. Perhaps it is that aspect of their thinking that causes them to be more likely to dive buddied than solo.

Doc Intrepid:
Most women are smarter than most men...maybe that explains it! :wink:

Kinda says it all.

I think most solo divers that I know dive in tropical locations, good vis, warm water. To me, this is a lot more benign environment than poor vis cold water. While it is true that many things could go wrong, diving with a bad buddy can make things worse as well. Personally, I think the drive to the dive site is more dangerous than solo diving. I should preface this, I'm talking about experienced divers who do more than the average 10 dives a year.

I've seen a few at our local lake and I know Catherine here on the board considers herself a solo diver from time to time. But for the msot part most of the soloists I've met or seen are men. And the comment about the drive to and from may make more sense than you'd think. A female diving alone at an isolated spot like some of the ones I've been to would seem to be pretty vulnerable. Not trying to be a chauvinist but there are some sick scum bags out there.

Maybe the reason you don´t see them is that they´re off diving alone :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom