Female solodivers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done a couple solo dives, and one of my best buddies (female) solo dives a lot. I tend to be a bit more cautious, being a single mom weighs heavy on my decision to solo dive or not. I have aborted possible solo dives, when a buddy didn't show up and I decided I would rather not dive than solo dive.
That being said, once out and I got the Jaws themed music out of my head, I realized the fish seemed friendlier, not as intimidated with one instead of a couple or few of us, and I was able to really get one with the environment. I also checked my gauges a lot more, and was much more aware of my surroundings. Would I do it again? Yes, if the conditions were right.

Doc Intrepid:
Heh, ...'hard salamis at dawn on the beach!' First we fight, then we sit down and have breakfast!

Naaah, I'm just stirring the pot. I'm sure you're pretty cautious! :) There are obviously legit reasons for solo diving; research, photogs, hunting, shell-collecting, and post-traumatic stress therapy to name a few! :wink: I'm merely expressing an opinion that for whatever reason, unless solo diving is done in a relatively benign environment like the deep end of a pool or the shallow end of the spectrum, in general for many divers its a pretty dumb idea. You're exposing yourself to a lot of risk and often (but not always) for needless reasons. There are literally thousands of things, foreseeable and unforeseeable, that could go wrong. To suppose that you're prepared to survive all of them alone is generally pretty arrogant. So for most guys its a gamble right up there with playing Russian roulette. Do you have a right to? Sure, have at it. Does that make it a bright thing to do? For most guys, probably not.

If you're gonna do it fine...just realize that at least in the ocean its a calculated risk with a large element of gambling that you'll avoid any non-survivable encounters.

(Like a few other things in life that come to mind!... :D )

Hey Doc, I like a gentle stir as much as much as the next guy and think you were doing pretty good right up until the arrogant part:D. Do you have a right to feel that way, of course you do but, this is the solo forum after all. We all pick our poison.

Come to New Jersey and you'll find some solo female divers

TomP:
Hey Doc, I like a gentle stir as much as much as the next guy and think you were doing pretty good right up until the arrogant part:D. Do you have a right to feel that way, of course you do but, this is the solo forum after all. We all pick our poison.

Thanks for speaking up Tom. I was thinking the same thing. And to think that Doc is a moderator, you would think that he would know better. I am not a regular poster in this formum, but, have heard that it is a "safe" place to post.

Kind of seems like a mod shouldn't also be a troll. Since I don't know the personalities of those involved, that might be a harsh statement, but, if I were a solo diver and new to the forum, I might just be intimidated enough by this mods posting to leave and go somewhere else.

Tim

coachrenz:
Thanks for speaking up Tom. I was thinking the same thing. And to think that Doc is a moderator, you would think that he would know better. I am not a regular poster in this formum, but, have heard that it is a "safe" place to post.

Kind of seems like a mod shouldn't also be a troll. Since I don't know the personalities of those involved, that might be a harsh statement, but, if I were a solo diver and new to the forum, I might just be intimidated enough by this mods posting to leave and go somewhere else.

Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim. While I do dive solo a lot of the time I really see myself more as a wreck tourist than solo diver. Still, for some reason I really enjoy this forum and may be a bit protective of it.

I don't know most of the personalities on the board either but Mods are people too and I don't think Doc meant to offend.

Tom

I agree that stirring the pot is entirely unnecessary. We shouldn't take such an arrogant or ignorant stance on anything. We should be above all that. We should be a little more delicate when handling such sensitive topics. So just to get us back on track, here's why I think there are no women solo divers:

1. No one to gossip with
2. No one to carry their gear.
3. No one to blame when something goes wrong.
4. No one to say, "No. Really. You look good with mask face."
5. No one to help with the pre and post dive primping.

Oriskany Divemaster:
I agree that stirring the pot is entirely unnecessary. We shouldn't take such an arrogant or ignorant stance on anything. We should be above all that. We should be a little more delicate when handling such sensitive topics. So just to get us back on track, here's why I think there are no women solo divers:

1. No one to gossip with
2. No one to carry their gear.
3. No one to blame when something goes wrong.
4. No one to say, "No. Really. You look good with mask face."
5. No one to help with the pre and post dive primping.
Wow! For somebody else to criticize another for stirring the pot, your post does just that, Kettle.

Judging from the buddies with whom I've been diving, the reason we don't hear about many solo divers of the feminine persuasion is because without any of us guys calling the dive on gas, they won't need to surface until sometime mid-April. :D

I've yet to find another local diver who admits to being a solo diver, so in my personal sample, there is one solo diver, and he is a guy. Not exactly statistically worthwhile, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom