Ferrari-- Toyota-- KIA Of Diving Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is important to remember that Deep6 is not a manufacturer in this conversation. The manufacturer for these regulators is very analogous to Toyota in terms of offering a very solid product very consistently. Deep6 is one of the brands that they OEM for and have some custom tweaks to their regulators vs. the other regs they sell. If you want to use car analogies, ODS is Toyota, and Deep6 is a Lexus. Still a Toyota, just a special one
ODS makes the regs... Deep 6 actually has some parts used made and sent to ODS and used in production from other sources. Some of the components that ODS supplies for Deep 6 are also sourced from different vendors than they use for other brands. That is one of the things I work on when in Asia. It's about quality and to a degree also about not using some of the same sub vendors that ODS and other OEM's in the area jointly use.It's also been more expensive, but to get the quality, unique features it is worthwhile, the Deep 6 model gives me more flexibility to spend more on stuff without the final price being silly.

The traditional model means a extra dollar spent in production will normally add 5 to the consumer cost, this model adds about 2, 2.25

Oh, I am gonna just throw this out there, my margin goals for deep 6 are higher than the traditional model as well. Make no mistake, the plan is to make money, to reinvest in better products, new products, marketing etc. Ultimately, while doing it as affordable as possible, this model long term has a higher cost of delivery than the traditional model does for a brand. It's also slower growing to start.

umm.. I agree.

I do however want to do all I can to reach the level of respect for quality a Toyota..or better yet Honda. That will take time, and effort, some already put in, much more needed

"Toyota" or "Honda" NOT "ToyoAuto" :)

Outside North America, especially the Middle East, Honda is barely known and doesn't have the respect and popularity of Toyota, not even close. Toyota is well known here for making the "best" and most reliable off-road 4WD vehicles. Their trucks are used by the poorest and the richest military gangs, militias and armies in most third world countries where Honda isn't even a thought in these markets.

(The above was a public service announcement)

Oh, I am gonna just throw this out there, my margin goals for deep 6 are higher than the traditional model as well. Make no mistake, the plan is to make money, to reinvest in better products, new products, marketing etc. Ultimately, while doing it as affordable as possible, this model long term has a higher cost of delivery than the traditional model does for a brand. It's also slower growing to start.

You aren't using the traditional model in the dive business: "How do you make a million in the dive business?? You start with two million," are you????? :)

I wish you all the success and profit with all of the glory as long as you live up to your word and high quality and service :)

Last edited:
ODS makes the regs... Deep 6 actually has some parts used made and sent to ODS and used in production from other sources. Some of the components that ODS supplies for Deep 6 are also sourced from different vendors than they use for other brands. That is one of the things I work on when in Asia. It's about quality and to a degree also about not using some of the same sub vendors that ODS and other OEM's in the area jointly use.It's also been more expensive, but to get the quality, unique features it is worthwhile, the Deep 6 model gives me more flexibility to spend more on stuff without the final price being silly.

The traditional model means a extra dollar spent in production will normally add 5 to the consumer cost, this model adds about 2, 2.25
Sometimes I wish there was a love button instead of just a like button.

don't always base the current status of a brand on history.

I don't.

I've been diving a newer Blizzard for years now and it has been as reliable as the 1980 magnum it replaced. The dry bleed may not be new, but it still keeps the inside of the 1st clean and increases the time between rebuilds. I wouldn't bother with the high end SR1 or 2 as they are out of my price range, and for that kind of cash I would change brands.

Perhaps because I started young and was breathing on some less than stellar regs, my standards are not as high as others.

Bob

I don't.

I've been diving a newer Blizzard for years now and it has been as reliable as the 1980 magnum it replaced. The dry bleed may not be new, but it still keeps the inside of the 1st clean and increases the time between rebuilds. I wouldn't bother with the high end SR1 or 2 as they are out of my price range, and for that kind of cash I would change brands.

Perhaps because I started young and was breathing on some less than stellar regs, my standards are not as high as others.

Bob
Once you try other better brands with higher performance, you won't go back to Sherwoods especially if you go deeper or exert yourself underwater.

Once you try other better brands with higher performance, you won't go back to Sherwoods especially if you go deeper or exert yourself underwater.

I don't doubt that, however I did my "tech" diving back in the '70's and now that I'm getting older and the bottom where I dive is limiting, I don't get south of 150 much any more. So far I have not had an issue breathing when I working on projects, however it's all been within recreational limits. Now I must admit that I favor metal seconds, so I may have a 109, Dacor, or old Aqualung as my primary and Sherwood as a backup, so it is a blended rig.

I have tried a buddy's high end ScubaPro, but for what I was doing, I saw no appreciable difference in performance. I understand that under different circumstances I might have seen a difference. Also I tune my own regs whenever I feel it necessary, and he takes his to the LDS for regular service which might also make a difference.

As I said, if I needed a high performance reg I would look around as I don't believe the high end Sherwood is as good a value as the rest of their line.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom