Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The day before the explosion in Playa we found a PVC tube floating in the water. The captain of an empty Aldora boat picked it up only to find an antennae, a small control box with lit red led, lots of wires connected to 7 sticks of typical blasting dynamite. The dynamite sticks had markings as made in Mexico. It was obviously set up for remote detonation. We returned it to the marina Fonatur where Mexican Marines blew it up. It might have been one attached to a rudder that fell off…but it was a real bomb, we saw it.

As for the explosion in Playa the next day it seems reasonable to believe that the perpetrator left it on the second deck and then waited until the upper deck was empty to set it off. Obviously it was set off to not kill people, as a terrorist might—but it did send a message.

At this point we have no idea if the PVC tubes attached to the rudders of the remaining two Barco Caribe boats on Thursday were the same design with dynamite, but the outward view was exactly the same as the one we found. Or they could have been dummies to continue the message.

That is the real story.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The day before the explosion in Playa we found a PVC tube floating in the water. The captain of an empty Aldora boat picked it up only to find an antennae, a small control box with lit red led, lots of wires connected to 7 sticks of typical blasting dynamite. The dynamite sticks had markings as made in Mexico. It was obviously set up for remote detonation. We returned it to the marina Fonatur where Mexican Marines blew it up. It might have been one attached to a rudder that fell off…but it was a real bomb, we saw it.

As for the explosion in Playa the next day it seems reasonable to believe that the perpetrator left it on the second deck and then waited until the upper deck was empty to set it off. Obviously it was set off to not kill people, as a terrorist might—but it did send a message.

At this point we have no idea if the PVC tubes attached to the rudders of the remaining two Barco Caribe boats on Thursday were the same design with dynamite, but the outward view was exactly the same as the one we found. Or they could have been dummies to continue the message.

That is the real story.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You have a brave crew.

Regards,
Cameron

The day before the explosion in Playa we found a PVC tube floating in the water. The captain of an empty Aldora boat picked it up only to find an antennae, a small control box with lit red led, lots of wires connected to 7 sticks of typical blasting dynamite. The dynamite sticks had markings as made in Mexico.........

So the PVC tube was floating in the water, which I assume means it was sealed? If the crew saw that there were 7 sticks of dynamite, and even saw the manufaturer writing on them, then they must have actually removed the dynamite and handled it. Right?
This whole story is pretty tough to swallow, and if it actually is completely accurate, then that crew isn't just "brave", they've missed their calling as professional Russian Roulette players !! :wink:

This was before the ferry explosion so i doubt floating bomb even occurred to them. Probably opened the top to see what treasure was inside and visibly saw the dyno. After you finish peeing, what do you do then?

O.K. here we go...:)

I must respectfully agree to disagree.

I respect your right to disagree, but it doesn't make you right. I spent a large portion of my career in the field of journalism and for every blathering, infotainment talking-head there are dozens of dedicated reporters/assignment editors/staff that put their careers and in some cases lives on the line to bring you facts and as near as humanly possible the truth. These folks throw up in their mouths just a little bit every time conspiracy theorists, blah blah, mouth breathers whose sole purpose is to crowd our airwaves (and other info sources) selling fake gold coins & boner pills, get on their echo chamber soap boxes and cry fake news because their idea of investigative reporting is to read twitter & facebook. Fortunately in the U.S, we live in a relatively free society due in large part to the efforts of REAL reporters. Unfortunately due to the inundation of noise from all sides, it's now up to us to be our own editors and source our information from multiple sources before we decide what to believe. It's not always easy but if we can break out of our own private echo chambers, it's not that hard to pick out the wheat from the chaff, and like most worthwhile things in this life, it's absolutely worth the effort.

Last edited:
I respect your right to disagree, but it doesn't make you right.
I can accept that if you can as well. For every well informed person who is absolutely convinced their worldview is the truth there is another with a diametrically opposed concept of reality who has access to all the same information and who is just as convinced.

Last edited:
I must respectfully agree to disagree.

With which part? It's a fact not up for dispute that hundreds of Mx media members have been killed or "disappeared" in the last 10-15 years in direct retribution for reporting the wrong way on certain issues and persons. Every credible source of all political persuasions agree that Mx journalists have been thoroughly intimidated and silenced.
From BBC to Al Jazeera to Newsweek to whatever source you prefer. Given that, I see no rational logic in equating the media in America with the media in Mexico.

With which part? It's a fact not up for dispute that hundreds of Mx media members have been killed or "disappeared" in the last 10-15 years in direct retribution for reporting the wrong way on certain issues and persons. Every credible source of all political persuasions agree that Mx journalists have been thoroughly intimidated and silenced.
From BBC to Al Jazeera to Newsweek to whatever source you prefer. Given that, I see no rational logic in equating the media in America with the media in Mexico.
I didn't do that; I was speaking in general terms. I remember growing up hearing about how the future (meaning today) would be the "information age". It is that, for better or worse. There is indeed several orders of magnitude more information available today than there was back then but that doesn't mean that it's all valid or even verifiably true or false. Is the media in the US more veracious than that in Mexico? Yes, I think so, based on what I have seen, but it's not a simple binary issue.

Dear Mark IV,
The photos which we have, show the explosives before they were detonated by the Mexican Marines in the Fonatur Marina. No, the crew did not remove the dynamite but the photos were taken at the marina before detonation and we HAVE the photos. WE were asked by the government not to release the photos. Your posting is insulting at best.

David Dillehay
Aldora Divers

(post withdrawn in the interest of keeping the peace :D).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom