Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not really intending to be getting up in your face,Dave, but come on, you gotta admit, this entire story sounds implausible........at best.
Not to me. I know Dave as I know most of the operators on Coz. They have to protect Coz as much as they have to protect their own reputations. Yeah, there is some infighting from time to time, and that's normal in a competitive business. Ask yourself this: How could Dave possibly benefit from fabricating this story? He couldn't. Moreover, he's not going to jeopardize his relationship with authorities to appease your apparent need to see this for yourself. He's just not the kind of guy to break a promise just because you're being inconvenienced. I like that.

Dear Mark IV,
The photos which we have, show the explosives before they were detonated by the Mexican Marines in the Fonatur Marina. No, the crew did not remove the dynamite but the photos were taken at the marina before detonation and we HAVE the photos. WE were asked by the government not to release the photos. Your posting is insulting at best. David Dillehay Aldora Divers

(post withdrawn in the interest of keeping the peace :D).

I don't read Spanish, but some of the local news services are showing pictures of a PVC device attached to the underside of a boat:

Investigan explosivos sin detonar en otro ferry que une Playa del Carmen con Cozumel

I don't read Spanish, but some of the local news services are showing pictures of a PVC device attached to the underside of a boat:

Investigan explosivos sin detonar en otro ferry que une Playa del Carmen con Cozumel

Yes they were found on Thursday on the Barcos Caribe boats at anchor in front of the Port Captains office. Outwardly they look exactly like the one we found on Tuesday but we have no idea if these contained explosives. Even if empty they continue to send a message.

Dave Dillehay

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is about to be moderated, but it will not be easy. It is an important thread that we certainly want to keep open, but the problem is that some of the topics that are routinely off topic and subject to removal in most threads can be somewhat on topic in this one. In some cases, the credibility of a specific source really does need to be considered. There seems to be some political connection to the story, so to some degree political issues are on topic.

But that does not go for everything in those realms. If you are talking politics in general and not how they relate to this incident, then it is off topic. If you are talking about credibility of sources in general and not about a specific source reporting on this incident, then it is off topic.

It will take a while to go through this whole thing and make those adjustments, and we will be making judgment calls. You may not agree with some of those judgments, but that is what is going to happen.

Thank you John. To our members, please try to make our job easier by keeping your posting on topic and by not posting just to stir the pot. As John has said, this is an important thread and it needs to be treated with respect.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is about to be moderated, but it will not be easy....

It will take a while to go through this whole thing and make those adjustments, and we will be making judgment calls. You may not agree with some of those judgments, but that is what is going to happen.
Please err on the cautious side. Those of us with future date bag drag plans need information to make decisions on travel plans.

While I may take more risks with MY travel. But I’ll be D@## before I risk my children who are traveling with me.

Perhaps if enough people write to SouthWest airlines they'll start doing flights to CZM. I'm not sure, however, if that airport can accommodate another airline. In any case, if they can do it, I'd be fine with only one or two flights a week and would book my other stuff accordingly. We took MayAir from CUN one time but they have baggage restrictions. From where I am direct flights to CZM cost about twice as much as CUN so we do the bag drag so we can visit Cozumel twice as often. So far, since only Barcos Caribe seems to be the target, we feel fairly confident in riding the other two ferries. At first I was thinking, after seeing the explosion videos, that we might be safer at the stern. That was until they found the other two devices at the bow and stern of the other ferry. Also, we are fine with more ferry security even if it means we need to arrive sooner.

Back
Top Bottom