fiesta americana coz 4-22 4-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first of all thanks for the replies! regarding how many dives, I usually would like to do 2 in the morning and 1-2 in the pm (or the other way round as I am not really a morning person ;-) ususally only an early morning dive on a liveaboard can make me get up early (and not regret it...) so I like to be on a boat and enjoy the ride and being on "island time and pace" - not so much the uncomfortable, small-but-fast-boat-type... I love being on a boat and out on the water but I don't like diving with too many people either. am used to dive with my buddy (ies) away from the rest of the gang wherever possible... I don't know if this is even possible in Coz ? usually I would do at least a shoredive in the afternoon - unfortunately I don't have any of my buddies with me this time so it's hard to plan on something if you don't know what to expect there...
As I read in other posts sometimes there is no afternoon diving due to not enough divers - that's not what I am used to - but that's why I usually prefer liveaboards - but this time I need a beach, some sand under my feet and the freedom to just do what I am up for ;-)) seems to be ther right place for that at FA according to SeaFlea - so I guess DH might be ok except for the crowds on the boat - do they have something like 5 day packages?
Similan (I miss the Similans)

The bigger ops do go out on afternoon dives. They are shalllow as mostly everyone seems to go out in the mnorning.
Look at someone like Paradise dive.

Its hard to have it both ways. Big boat means more divers. I wouldn't say the smaller "six pak" boats are uncomfortable. Maybe a bit more impact as they travel but not too bad. Note: as weather and winds are in constant flux..... i've had some rough rides in Coz.

As far as afternoon dives, I would book a weeks worth of diving(if thats fits) and make mention at the onset that you want primarly afternoon dives. when you arrive they will tell you what the next 5 days looks like and let you know if you have to settle for a morn dive or not. but note, if its just a few divers they will use a smaller boat.

as for shore diving.... DH and DP both offer cheap tanks for shore diving and you can get in a dive but don't expect too much. the good dives require a boat ride. and beware of small boat traffic.

my advice, book all AM dives and grab a afternoon or night dive when it happens. that way you'll be assured of diving each day.

If the dockside restaurant is open when you're there, they have a grear breakfast buffet. Very nice!!! I've enjoyed every stay at the FA.

anything else?

SeaFlea.

that all sounds not too bad- guess I could ask million of questions ... but then you get too many expectations that might turn out different :) one more: what about snorkeling around the hotel area and nice places for dinner (ok, that makes 2 already again ;-)
is it safe to leave dive gear, like a dive lamp in the room for charging during the day or do you have to lock up stuff like that? ok I stop now ...

Similan

I've never had any problems at the FA. i would lock up any things you can't do without or that get in your way of getting home. I always leave a tip for housekeeping each day, 2 or 3 dollars. maybe it helps, can't say but they really appreciate it. the last time i was there DH just rented me a lock so i could use one of their dive equip lockers. I think if you bring a lock you can skip the fee.

as far as restaurants...... I can't give any recent reccomendations. But, search for Christy's restaurant list. Christy is the owner of a dive shop and has put together a really good list. follow her and you can't go wrong.

i'm happy to help if you need anymore answers.

good dives, SeaFlea.

I really appreciate your help! might come back with questions when I start putting my stuff together - oh by the way, is it better to exchange money or can you pay erything just in $
what about mosquitos, do I need to bring a special bug spray? For my last scuba trip (US Virgins, St. Croix) I brought the one I always used (successfully) but over there it wouldn't help at all, I finally ended up getting some from the hotel which helped.

Thanks
Similan

Similan - just wanted to add some input .... we've stayed at FA 4 times, twice in the last 6 months. We did not use Dive House - so no info to help you there. (We dive with Scuba with Alison, and she would pick us up at the dock every morning.)

As for leaving items in the room, we had no problems at all. There are safes for you passport, money, etc, but a number of times I left my I-touch speakers system out to recharge, dive lights on the couch, and other items around and they were never touched. In fact, if I did not leave the maid's tip money on the bed, they wouldn't touch it. A few times we left it next to the TV, and it was there when we got back. The staff were all very nice.

We had no problems with mosquitoes around the hotel - unless you're staying back in the villas. However, in town we did get a few bites, so we started putting some repellent on. WE use Sawyer Controlled Release repellent from REI, but I would think any good brand would work.

Dollars are fine pretty much everywhere, but you will find that paying in pesos at some places will save you a bit - depending on what they are using for the exchange rate. At FA, they will exchange money for you with no fees at the front desk, so you can always carry a bit of both when you go into town.

Hope a little more info helps!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom