Fiesta Americana Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevsgarage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I reciently booked a package deal to Fiesta Americana Cozumel and I'm interested in in feed back from others who have been there and/or dove with there dive operator Juan Leca's Dive House.
I spent an afternoon in Cozumel on a dive trip from Cancun and thought this would be an ideal location to meet both what I want and my non-diving wife. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
I could not find a web sight for this dive shop and the only web page I could find for the hotel was from their chain and had little on such things as the dive shop.

We have stayed at FA on two different occassions each for a week at a time and diving with Dive House for each week ...

We have been VERY SATISFIED with both the accomodations and the dive operation ... our favorite DM is "Alex" ...

As far as FA .. the resort is great but the food is EXPENSIVE ... we always take a taxi into town for the evening meal .. occassionaly we will have lunch at the resort cafe next to the dive operation across from the main resort .. it's pricey as well but what can you do? There is a small place just up the road towards town called "DZul Ha" and it's good for breakfast if you are diving in the afternoon ... fairly easy walk from the resort.

The dive operation is well run but the boats CAN get slightly crowded ... if DiveHouse IV is available, I recommend it -- smaller than some of their other boats and limited to fewer divers.

If you are Ean certified Dive House does offer NITROX at $10/tank ...

The dive operation is across the 'street' from the main resort as is the resort beach and one of their pools ... there is a VERY good place there to do a quick shore dive to checkout gear and buoancy ... large roped off area.

As I recall the dive boats leave around 8:30AM and 1:30PM each day with night dives a couple of nights a week available ... an ADVANTAGE to FA is that the resort is fairly well SOUTH of town and thus closer to the reefs ... shorter boat rides, but as far as I know they don't have any of the very fast "six pak" boats.

Right off of the FA resort is the "Las Palmas" reef/dive site and one of my absolute favorite night dive spots ...

Bottom line - NICE place to stay, good dive operator - VERY PRICEY FOOD ...

Have fun!!

Bade

Stevsgarage
I'd like to second what BadeinBulverde said.
FA/DH is a good combination. I travel with a non diver as well, and she has liked both the pools, and the "beach", (although there isn't much of a beach-mostly rocks).
DH IV is the boat to get on, if possible. last Aug., I was on it for 5 of 6 days diving-with mostly the same bunch of "stranger" divers. As the week progressed, more of a group formed and the DMs (Alex, in particular) would show us places based on the generally experienced level of the group.
As neither of us are "spicy" food eaters, we found the meal /inclusive package to be good-in terms of time and money.
I have heard good things about Dzul ha, and of course the more "local" restaurants-for those of you not bothered by exotic food. :)
I found a web/email address that worked last summer,whuch might be helpful.
Good Luck,
Mike

www.divehouse.com or Dive @divehouse.com

Thanks for your response it sounds like I made the right choice for my wife and I. We took an all-inclusive package all though I very much like spicy food, all though North Mexico is more known for that. The quick shore dives also sound great, do they have a buddy sign up or do you travel with a dive master from the shop.

Bring your own locks for the lockers at Dive House.

I enjoyed my stay there last October and I would go back. The Breakfast buffet was on the high side. We had a good experience with Albedo as DM.

Enjoy your trip.

Tom

Since I always bring my own (wife) I never had to worry about it .. on the boat dives the DM will either assign you another solo diver to buddy with or if there aren't any you buddy with the DM ... in the larger groups (8 or more in my experience) they have two DM's front and back ...

As for the shore dive ... uhhh honestly I can't say ... you might just do it solo ... and stay close to the shop ....

Bade

I stayed at the Fiesta Americana a few years ago. I was not a diver than, so no info on their dive shop. As far as the hotel goes...we were all-inclusive. They gave you a card, not a wrist band. Always a long wait to have your bill processed. You couldn't just get up & leave when you were done eating. There was absolutly no nightlife at this hotel, we would take a cab to Carlos & Charlies every night & pay for our drinks. Even though we could have drank for free at the hotel. Another dissapointment was the beach. What beach...its a pier, rock & the a 10 foot area where they were able to throw down some sand. Also, the hotel is across the street from the beach. There is an overpass, across the road. But we would just wait for a break in the non-stop traffic & make a run for it. Personally, I was very unhappy there. The waiter, Armando was great & we met some nice people there. But I would never stay there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom