fight with girlfriend over dive safety.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been married 20 years and as I said before the woman is right. The thing about it is that you can't be too quick to agree, nor too slow. There is a timing factor to it which works. :wink:

The entire relationship concept is one of give and take, but the male way of interacting is different from that of a female, and with your wife/gf different yet for some reason. I can talk to a non related woman in a different manner from which I can talk to my wife, I think the reason is that with my wife we're close and she reads things into what I say that I do not intend, where as with a stranger what you say is what you said.

I don't know you, but I bet your GF is reading things into what you say based on your history together. This applies to every single thing you do together and not just diving, that's life and how it works.

I suspect women have as much trouble relating to us as we do them, they probably have a rule that says something like, let them think they rule the roost... :wink:

hmm, these handling wife/girlfriend tips are interesting...
thanks guys

You should have just said you where concerned for her safety
and now you feel alot better knowing the answers. Probably
somewhere before you ended the actual conversation.

I seem to meet two "types" of divers. The ones out on boats ("Holiday Divers") and the ones on here ("Internet Divers").

The Holiday Divers are waaaay too liberal with dive safety. They trust their computer, dive how often they want, get drunk every night and dive dehydrated the next day.

The internet divers are waaaaay too uptight with dive safety. They dive with multiple backups, a 7' long hose, bungeed backup, 21W HID dive light and a bp/w on a 60ft reef dive with 100ft vis. They offer advice & critique anyone who dives a different configuration from them because everyone on the internet says their configuration and style of diving is "the best".

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Relax. When my wife did her AOW, I asked how deep they went. She said "30m", I said "cool".

You are not in charge of her safety for things she does without you. You are not her father (nor her teacher) and she is no more a little girl.
Of course, it is normal to get concerned about her safety. But you have to learn to let it go.

When you didn't yet had 3 kids, my husband was doing mountainering and I was riding horses. Bothe were concerned bu the safety of the other when he/I was away to practise our beloved activity. But we have never tried to limit the other or ask too much questions showing this concern (even if we were knowing that the other one was potentially afraid).
And when we dive separately, we do not ask anything about the planning or things like that. We ask if the dive was nice, what have you seen ... Now when we dive together it is different, we plan the dive together.
Remember, you are not in charge of her life.

Mhahaha...very interesting gender topic here.

My husband is my lifetime buddy (I've never paired with another person),
if we have any comments regarding our way of diving, we would just say about it and offer a solution. We need less than few minutes for that.

So, I think it's good that you concern, but try to make your point short and efficient, rather than keep questioning her, she might choose to ignore you or back off.

And, correct me if I'm wrong.

Now she and her mom are doing the advanced cert and she just came back from their second day of open water diving. When I asked how deep they went she said 100 feet.

What is wrong with that? One of the AOW lesson is deep dive, and actually 100 feet is very reasonable.
I thought and I did, dive up to 130-140 ft is still within the range of AOW. :06:

When they start ranting, you can ALMOST play pre-recorded responses and get away with it.

"Yeah, I know"
"I'm sorry" (key response)
"Yup, yup"

It really wouldn't make a difference. :)

nshon:
When they start ranting, you can ALMOST play pre-recorded responses and get away with it.

"Yeah, I know"
"I'm sorry" (key response)
"Yup, yup"

and people wonder why there's a 74% divorce rate

:eyebrow:

ahh... Unfortunately there are no certifying agencies for dealing with girlfirends :)

camshaft:
Hey guys,
I just had a fight with my girlfriend because she says I pressure her too much about the dive planning and safety procedures she goes through. To start, I've been certified for the past 7 years (naui adv past 5 years), but have only done about 15 dives total. I'm 20 and she's 19. I recently got her interested though, especially since she lives in puerto rico. I live in phily which is why my diving opportunities are limited even though I adore it. The beginning of the summer she got her padi open water cert with her mom, then later went diving twice with me while I was down there.

Now she and her mom are doing the advanced cert and she just came back from their second day of open water diving. When I asked how deep they went she said 100 feet. I was instantly a little concerned, since this is definitely below the depth of a padi advanced ow checkout, and because they didn't have computers either. She said they were at that depth for less than 10 min and did 2 safety stops, but I still asked her whether they had planned to go that deep, whether they had checked the tables personally before-hand for that depth (versus relying on the instructor), and whether they had accounted for ongassing at the slightly shallower depths than 100 feet.

She said yes to all this, and then started getting upset that I always ask her these kinds of questions after her dives. She said I really look like I don't have confidence in her, and that I'm the experienced diver who always knows whats best. I told her before though that one of the reasons I was excited for her was because since she lives in a great dive spot she'd quickly get much more experience than I have. And during the argument I said even if she was the greatest diver to have ever lived, in the midst of my meager experience I think I'd still be justified in asking her how safe she was being. But then she countered that by saying there are a bunch of things we do in our lives like driving a car that are considerably dangerous without asking each other things such as did we buckle our seat belts, or did we look both ways before crossing the street. I guess I don't really know which argument is more valid.

I said though, disregarding who's right or wrong, I don't see why her answering my questions is that much to ask if even just to put me at ease. I guess I've resigned myself to being the kind of person who doesn't want to screw over their life not by staying away from any activity or experiance that could be dangerous, but by experiencing them while stressing the most out of the safety, even if it becomes excessive. Especially after reading so many of those 'lessons for life' articles in rodale's, I've become aware of not the fact that anything can go wrong, but just how many things there are on the list of any things that could go wrong. Furthermore, the incident in which my instructor's instructor ended his life by going alone into a cave and never being seen again constantly reminds me that even your instructor can't be your ultimate life-line.

I've always been fascinated by tech. diving (hoping to pursue it someday so I can enjoy some nice wreck dives up here on the jersey coast :D ) and I try to never forget that one foundation rule to remind that the ocean can sometimes be merciless even to experience or cauion - 'Anyone can die at anytime, for any reason.' I guess I try to hold onto that idea even for simple rec. dives. Maybe I am being too excessive though. Of course, I suppose there's no way to know which one of us really is right, or whether its more of a compromise. So I thought I'd just get this out here and see what you guys thought.

BTW, minds are good at being biased towards their own story, so I probably have left out something my girlfriend would call very relevant. Just a disclaimer :wink:

Thanks,
Austin

IceIce:
Mhahaha...very interesting gender topic here.

My husband is my lifetime buddy (I've never paired with another person),
if we have any comments regarding our way of diving, we would just say about it and offer a solution. We need less than few minutes for that.

So, I think it's good that you concern, but try to make your point short and efficient, rather than keep questioning her, she might choose to ignore you or back off.

And, correct me if I'm wrong.

What is wrong with that? One of the AOW lesson is deep dive, and actually 100 feet is very reasonable.
I thought and I did, dive up to 130-140 ft is still within the range of AOW. :06:

Not sure about all certifying agencies, but apparently in some the max depth for AOW instruction is 100. The max reccomended depth for all recreational scuba is 130.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom