Fiji Aggressor II Trip Report June 26-July 2,2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscrog

Reaction score
Fiji Aggressor Trip Report June 26-July 2, 2006​

I have always been visually stimulated by bright and vibrant colors so it was no surprise that I would select the “soft coral capitol of the world” for my first live-aboard trip. As such, it turned in to a major undertaking for a relative newbie who just finished his 50th dive while on this trip.

Pre-Dive Planning​

Needless to say, the considerations were many. Since my son and I have been diving for less than a year, we were sure to sign up for an Advanced Open Water class prior to departure. This helped us shore up our weaknesses and renew our skills. This certification is also required on many Red Sea live-aboards which I am interested in doing in the future.

We became members of DAN and obtained their dive accident policy, as well as insurance for our equipment that included flood insurance on our camera. We bought trip insurance through my professional organization which gave me a 50% discount since my son had not yet turned 16. All together, the insurance on everything can run almost as much as a weekend in Cozumel {from Texas} which does give one pause.

We obtained an Olympus 8080 camera off of e-bay, but found that this would not easily accommodate a ttl strobe with the PT-023 case. We ended up getting the Ikelite case and strobe through Scubatoys. We bought a 4 Gig CF card to allow for plenty of storage since it was unclear whether a computer would be available for downloads. My son was put in charge of all photography since my buoyancy skills are not near as well honed as his.

The decision to go with the Aggressor fleet was relatively easy since I have never read anything negative about them in all my reading. Experienced divers also told of their superior food and service. I booked directly with Aggressor, but had difficulty communicating with them through e-mail. I discovered that this was my fault since my spam blocker was blocking all of their messages!

Since I have a compulsion to stay in constant contact with family, friends, and office, I checked multiple sources for a global satellite phone. The iridium phone appeared to be the best for the South Pacific and indeed it did work well. The least expensive source I could find was at www.globalcomsatphone.com which charged $1.39 per minute on a prepaid basis as opposed to the $5.00 the boat charges. Of course, there was an additional charge for insurance again and this did not include theft. I found that trying to obtain internet access at sea in the South Pacific was pretty hopeless without spending $2500 for a modem plus an outrageous per minute charge for dial-up.

As far as what to bring in addition to the usual things listed, recent magazines were good to read on board and made a prized gift to the crew. They seldom see these as they live three weeks at sea with only one week off. I could not believe how excited they became over the magazines. In Fiji, it is always nice to bring gifts for the children for the village visit. School supplies are appreciated, as well as any items from the Dollar Store such as reading glasses and colored pens. I would also be sure to bring plenty of books to read since there is nothing else to do other than, of course, sleep, eat, and dive. DVD’s are also a popular night diversion. I would also bring several swim suits since it is nice to have dry suits to change into. An underwater marker to label your equipment is also a good idea. The diver who was directly beside me in the tank rack happened to have much of the same equipment I had.

I would also visit your physician to obtain medicine for sea sickness which affected over 1/3 of the divers on board at times. In addition to the usual scopolamine patches, as well as Zofran orally dissolving tablets, the most potent treatment that some required was Dexedrine 10mg with 25mg of phenergan. This requires a triplicate prescription in Texas that some physicians may be reluctant to write. It did seem to be effective even after the nausea was well established, but, of course this may not be appropriate for everyone. While at the physician’s, one could also inquire about the appropriateness of steroid nasal sprays and meds should swimmer’s ear occur as it did with my son. Sleep medication for overnight flights may also be desired. DAN may also evaluate the appropriateness of any medicines in regards to diving.

The timing of the trip was not especially fortuitous. I did not realize that the Fijian winter started in June. Therefore, the seas were rougher than expected and the weather was cooler than thought. Yet, it is still hard to complain about weather that is nearly always between 70 and 80 degrees. Nearly everyday, however, consisted of gray skies with relatively little sun. A sweat shirt was frequently required for the cool mornings.

The Journey​

Day 1-2

After looking at a number of airfares, we booked our flight through Orbitz and paid their booking fee. We took American Airlines from Dallas to LAX and then the overnight ten and one-half hour direct flight to Nadi, Fiji by Air Pacific. Although American and domestic carriers have a 50lb. weight limit per bag, we were allowed to have the international carrier 70lb. weight limit on all bags since we had everything booked on one ticket through Orbitz. This was helpful since our dive bag would not have made the 50lb. limit. We had a 4 hour lay over in L.A. to allow time for clearing customs, etc. The Air Pacific flight was relatively nice with LCD screens in the back of the seat in front of you that allowed you to play games, watch several different recent movies, play music, etc. Unfortunately, not all of these were working.

We stayed the first 2 nights at the Pearl Harbor Resort. This was about a 2 hour bus ride from the airport. Coral Sun Transportation provided bus transportation with a 7:30 departure for $25. They will transport by car for $100 if you do not want any stops. Rosie’s is the other major transportation service in Fiji. The Pearl Harbor Resort, now remodeled, is an older property that once was a four-star resort. Unfortunately, the re-do’s seldom turn out that great. It was nice; however, our backdoor only had a homemade lock that a six year old could have easily opened if desired. For those who desire the best, the Warwick is another property that we visited close by and it was beautiful. We rented jet-skis the afternoon of our arrival.

Day 3

We stayed at the Pearl Harbor Resort because we were planning on river rafting on the Lower Navua River and their office is located here. Check out http://www.riversfiji.com/index.htm. This trip was superb. You raft for about 5 hours down the river. You are surrounded by 200 foot walls covered in dense green foliage with large waterfalls on each side. You can see the fish in the clear water below and there are bats circling above. There are also a few wild horses along the sides, as well as remote villages near the end. The lush emerald rainforest, volcanic rock, and many majestic cascading waterfalls make you feel like you are seeing the real Fiji. This is a not to be missed trip.

Continued with next thread...

Day 4

Finally, it was time to head to the Aggressor! We were picked up by a van and taken to the Aggressor which is located at the Tradeswinds Hotel. This was about one hour further toward Suva. {The boat is located about 3 hours from the Nadi Airport.} You usually arrive from the Airport at about 11 a.m. and the boat is not ready for boarding until 12:30. In this 1 1/2 hour we got to know the other passengers. We went ahead and ate since we did not know if lunch would be served on the boat; however, it was served so we may have been better off just reading or lounging at the pool.

We received our initial briefing with lunch. Then we set up our dive gear for the one and only time that week. We met with Capt. Ned who emphasized that he wanted to take care of us and if we were to have any problems at any time we were to let the crew or him know. Through out the week, he was the ultimate gracious and charming host taking care of any whim. He is very articulate with a warm and caring attitude. The crew was very good natured and I believe it started at the top with Ned.

The staterooms were good sized with a large shower. The beds were very comfortable and there was a plethora of pillows. All staterooms had individual temperature controls. Lighting was well thought out and was excellent. The boat is accurately depicted at http://www.aggressor.com. The only problem I had with the boat was with the tank rack. If you were 5’7” or less it was a real ordeal to get your tank out of the rack without assistance. It would be a big help if this was lowered a little bit.

Captain Ned informed us that due to the weather at this time of year and the fact that we had to pass through a strait, that we were going to be rocking and rolling for the next 7-8 hours on our initial voyage. This turned out to be true as the seas were very rough and a full 1/3 of the divers could not make it to dinner since they were sick in their cabins! As usual, there was to be no diving until the next morning.

Day 5-10

The next 5 ½ days were dedicated to full time diving. Four day dives, as well as a night dive were offered each day at 7:30, 10:30, 1:30, 4:00 and 7:30. A continental breakfast was offered at 6:30 with a full cook to order an American breakfast after the first dive. Cooked snacks were offered between dives when a meal was not served. Luke, the chef, was superb and believe me, I am particular when it comes to food. Most divers had to buy sweatshirts from the boutique the first morning since it was so much cooler than we thought it would be in the mornings.

As soon we dove for the first time, I could instantly tell that I was in a far different place than Hawaii, Grand Cayman, or Cozumel where I had previously dove. The coral was far more lush and in every color of the rainbow. Gorgorian fans were everywhere and in a variety of colors. Most impressive were those that were 10-12 feet across and dwarfed me. There were no signs of coral bleaching .Colorful reef fish were plentiful. Slightly on the downside was the fact that virtually all dives were fairly similar in that they are nearly all pinnacles where one searched for the nudibrachs and stars at the base of the pinnacle and then slowly worked our way to the top where the reef fish and coral predominated. The top of the pinnacles were often only 10-20fsw making for beautiful safety stops. Pelagics were less frequent than other destinations on this trip, but this was expected. Unfortunately, we did not have a shark dive as some previous Fiji Aggressor trips had. We only saw sharks at one dive site at this time of year. Overall, there was a good mix of interesting creatures such as blue ribbon eels, many lionfish, blue sea stars, iridescent clams in multiple hues, three stone fish, and nudi’s too many to ever count.

The sights chosen were not those that were frequented by many as we only saw one dive boat all week. The only well known sight that we dove was North Save a Tack which we did twice. We were not able to make it over to E6 or Hi 8 due to the weather. The Somosomo Strait is not on the usual itinerary.

Currents are something that we frequently had to deal with. The crew maneuvered the boat to put us in the best possible position to the dive sight, but still the dinghy had to be sent to pick me up twice at the conclusion of dives. Nobody had to use their safety sausage or dive-alert during the week, but the divemasters and crew were very attentive to our position and where we were coming up after the dive.

My fifteen year old son was elected by the divers to represent us as our Chief when we went to visit a remote Fijian village on the island of Makogai. As others have reported, the visit to the village is a true highlight of the trip. When we arrived at the village, I felt as if we had stepped into another world. If you do not have a sulu for this excursion, the Aggressor will provide one for free. The island was so remote that there was no TV and only radio on that side of the island. We saw the clam and turtle farming projects which were impressive. After the kava ceremony, there was singing and dancing which everyone seemed to enjoy. I don’t think my son or I will ever forget him leading our congregation barefoot through the village, presenting the kava root to their chief, receiving the first bowl of kava in return, and presenting our gifts to the Fijian chief. The teenagers came over to introduce themselves to my son before we left. The villagers like all the Fijian people were incredibly friendly.

On our last night at sea, Capt. Ned presented his DVD that he had compiled over the week of our adventure. This was set to lovely music and was a superb capsule of our week. It is certainly our most treasured souvenir.

Day 11-12

We were dropped off in the dinghy at 3pm in downtown Suva after a peaceful return to home after a morning dive. The seven hour return trip was fortunately less rambunctious than the outgoing one. We did some shopping in busy downtown Suva. We missed the Fijian Museum which closed at 4:30.

We returned to a relatively subdued “cocktail party.” Two-thirds of the divers were doctors and their families and this certainly was not a wild party bunch. The divers decided to eat at the Tradewinds Hotel for our final night and the service was very slow and the food pedestrian. JJ’s is a downtown Suva restaurant that has won several awards and was suggested as a choice by the captain. This may have been a better choice in retrospect.

The excellent crew had washed out all our gear and dried it for us in plenty of time to pack it. The bus arrived promptly at 7:30 for our departure. The crew toted all our heavy luggage to the bus for us. The crew came on to the bus to shake everybody’s hand and exchange mutual hugs. I think all the divers felt sad that we were leaving our new Fijian friends. I don’t think anybody could resist bonding with this warm, good natured crew. We arrived at 12:30 back in Nadi after a lengthy stop at Jack’s for extensive shopping.

We used Raffles Gateway Hotel across from the airport for our day hotel. The room and staff were both fine. We visited the Land of the Sleeping Giant Garden which is where TV star Raymond Burr cultivated his orchids. This was a lovely garden which took about 1 ½ hours to see. It is relatively unmarked from the highway, but any taxi can take you there. It is only a fifteen minute ride from the hotel.

We arrived at the airport 3 ½ hours early to find a long line of passengers already there for the full Air Pacific flight back to LAX and the real world. Unfortunately, paradise had to be left, but I think my son and I will always remember our Fijian adventure and being privileged to see a truly extraordinary part of the world where the people were as wonderful as their islands.

I am currently having difficulty with posting pictures, but will hopefully post these to a thread or the photo gallery soon.

Thanks for the trip report & tips. Glad you had a good time. I'll be there in October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom