Fiji - Bamboo Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hola Doc:

I alredy sent this thread to scubaroo , then i realized that you are The Man on "Fijian affairs." I know you from your Undercurrent's writings (muy buenos).
If you can light my path i'll be a happy person.

Saludos

Elbuzo

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new at the forum and i'm looking for the same info as you.
I'll go to Fiji Aggressor first week of october and after that i'm thinking to spend 1 week at Bamboo and 1 week at Moody Namena.
I already booked at Namena but due to the lack of information about Bamboo i'm still not 100% sure. I learned that the diving is excellent with former Crystal Divers but ,same as you, i would like to know more about the surface time at the resort . I will go with my girlfriend that is a novice diver (different than me , a bottom time+u/w photo maniac) so i'm not sure if she will have activities to do there besides diving.

Please if you have any useful info , let me know . I'll appreciate your help.

Hasta la vista

Elbuzo[/QUOTE]

:dazzler1:

If you need help regarding Bamboo Beach Resort, call Mary Martz at their US Booking Center @ 800-542-3454 or e-mail her at mary@marlinbay.com. I have put all my faith in her and went ahead a booked a 15 night stay, We leave on 4/24 . The www site for Bamboo Reef Divers aka Crystal Divers has pix of Nananu-I-Ra and dive sites. I found it comforting to look at due to the absence of a www site for the new Bamboo Beach Resort. It is kind of un-nerving not really knowing what or where you are headed, but I heard the diving is superb!! :wink:

How's the flooring biz in Guatemala these days? Hope that your lovely daughters & other family are well.

One small correction: "The Man on "scuba affairs," period. (de broma).

Anyway, RE Bamboo Beach Resort just very recently opened, seemingly has done little to promote itself & doesn't even have a website as of yet, although they'd like to rectify this within the next month or so. Supposed to be at Bamboo Beach Fiji www.bamboobeachfiji.com so check it periodically. In any event, you aren't going to hear much for a while. Their US reservations # is (866) 324-3454. Also can e-mail Larry Marasco at info@marlinbay.com--tell him that I sent you.

The resort is owned & operated by the folks of old Marlin Bay http://www.marlinbay.com/. The formal opening was in Feb of this year after the expected island time delays & the fire that I reported upon earlier. Word is occupancy has been running ~65% since. It's located out on Nananu-I-Ra Island, across from Rakiraki on the main island of Viti Levu. I have an extensive review of this area somewhere in the archives. The bures all have AC, in-room safes, private Balinese-style courtyard showers (I love outdoor showers) & ocean views. Big pool right next to the beach; main bure serves 3 gourmet meals/day. There's a bar. The few sources I have who have been there give the property very high marks.

My old friend & Vietnam vet Dan Grenier of Crystal Divers http://www.crystaldivers.com/ has an exclusive deal with the resort for diving (contact silentworld@bambooreefdivers.com), but continues to run his own shop. The resort has new, custom-built dive boats taking a max of 14 divers out to the fringing reefs in Bligh Waters or for a premium out to sites in Vatu-I-Ra Passage. I've heard a few complaints that inexperienced divers at the resort have precluded trips out the best/more distant sites, so you'll want to contact Dan up front to make arrangements for E6, Magic Mountain, etc.

BTW, Dan told me he'd sell Crystal Divers & his house & all if the price was right as he'd like to get out of Fiji within the next 5 years or so if he can. Been there for lots of years now. I first knew him way back when he was on remote Loma Loma. He's thinking of going to Oz, maybe running day trips for dolphin & whale shark dives in Shark Bay north of Perth. Anyway, can see him at the upcoming DEMA in Houston in Oct at the Bamboo Beach Resort/Bamboo Reef Divers Fiji booth. Tell him that I said, "Bula."

A public service by,

The Good Doctor

Hey DocV, any truth to the rumor that George sold MBR?

This part of the world is not my primary area of expertise, but best as I know it is not true.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hola Doc

Thanks for all your info. Definitly you are helping me a lot !

Only one small correction : i live in Dominican Rep not in Guatemala and ( as long as i know) i don't have any lovely daughter yet ! . But don't worry i'll keep you posted about my reproduction success.

One last question , how is the beach at Nananu - I Ra ? is nice for swiming or snorkling ?

Hasta la vista

Elbuzo

DocVikingo:
How's the flooring biz in Guatemala these days? Hope that your lovely daughters & other family are well.

One small correction: "The Man on "scuba affairs," period. (de broma).

Anyway, RE Bamboo Beach Resort just very recently opened, seemingly has done little to promote itself & doesn't even have a website as of yet, although they'd like to rectify this within the next month or so. Supposed to be at Bamboo Beach Fiji www.bamboobeachfiji.com so check it periodically. In any event, you aren't going to hear much for a while. Their US reservations # is (866) 324-3454. Also can e-mail Larry Marasco at info@marlinbay.com--tell him that I sent you.

The resort is owned & operated by the folks of old Marlin Bay http://www.marlinbay.com/. The formal opening was in Feb of this year after the expected island time delays & the fire that I reported upon earlier. Word is occupancy has been running ~65% since. It's located out on Nananu-I-Ra Island, across from Rakiraki on the main island of Viti Levu. I have an extensive review of this area somewhere in the archives. The bures all have AC, in-room safes, private Balinese-style courtyard showers (I love outdoor showers) & ocean views. Big pool right next to the beach; main bure serves 3 gourmet meals/day. There's a bar. The few sources I have who have been there give the property very high marks.

My old friend & Vietnam vet Dan Grenier of Crystal Divers http://www.crystaldivers.com/ has an exclusive deal with the resort for diving (contact silentworld@bambooreefdivers.com), but continues to run his own shop. The resort has new, custom-built dive boats taking a max of 14 divers out to the fringing reefs in Bligh Waters or for a premium out to sites in Vatu-I-Ra Passage. I've heard a few complaints that inexperienced divers at the resort have precluded trips out the best/more distant sites, so you'll want to contact Dan up front to make arrangements for E6, Magic Mountain, etc.

BTW, Dan told me he'd sell Crystal Divers & his house & all if the price was right as he'd like to get out of Fiji within the next 5 years or so if he can. Been there for lots of years now. I first knew him way back when he was on remote Loma Loma. He's thinking of going to Oz, maybe running day trips for dolphin & whale shark dives in Shark Bay north of Perth. Anyway, can see him at the upcoming DEMA in Houston in Oct at the Bamboo Beach Resort/Bamboo Reef Divers Fiji booth. Tell him that I said, "Bula."

A public service by,

The Good Doctor

I have a diving acquiantance in Guatemala who uses the board name El Buzo. How funny.

Yes, the beach is nice & there is some good snorkeling around the island.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Just have been to Bamboo Beach, and the diving, accommodation, food is awesome! Although there are still some places that they are doing renovations (office and apprently a bar and dining by the pool) it still is paradise. The staff are so friendly and helpful, they would really make your holiday a memorable one. I'll definitely come back!! :D

sophia:
Just have been to Bamboo Beach, and the diving, accommodation, food is awesome! Although there are still some places that they are doing renovations (office and apprently a bar and dining by the pool) it still is paradise. The staff are so friendly and helpful, they would really make your holiday a memorable one. I'll definitely come back!! :D

Hola Sophia:

Could you pls. tell us more about the diving?

Did you went to the off shore distant sites in Bligh Waters or the close to shore sites in the island's fringing reefs.
How was the vis. + marine life + corals ?

I just returned as well. We dove both the fringing reef and the distant sites in the Bligh waters. The Fringing reef was good to great, the Bligh waters were great to excellent. The reeefs were pristine. There were an abundance of smaller reef fish as well as quite a few encounters with sharks, rays, schooling baracuda and spanish mackeral. The soft coral is out of this world, especially in the Bligh waters. The diving makes it worth the trip. The resort is very nice and should get nicer as the renovations are completed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom