Fiji Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent 9 1/2 weeks in Fiji last year during that time period. The weather was decent in early Oct last year but got worse the later it got in the year.

I started my trip in early October with 2 weeks on Naigani at Naigani Island Resort and we had decent weather right up until the last couple of days.

Next was a week at Matava Resort on Kadavu. Got a little rain off and on but was able to dive every day. Problem was that the conditions were bad enough that it was tough to get outside the reef and so dove predominantly inside. Had a good time and the diving was still good but, from what I understand, it is much much better if you are there when you can get outside the reef. We did get outside for a couple of dives and saw the Manta's. Getting back in the boat while outside the reef was a bit of an adventure but we all managed.

Next was 4 weeks at a time share next to The Pearl on Bega Lagoon. Rain, Rain, and more rain. Seas were pretty rough most of the time and there were many days when it was just too windy and rainy to bother diving. The viz was not good in the lagoon either with all the run off but still had fun on the dives I did do with Bega Adventure Divers and loved the short dives.

When my time at Bega Lagoon came to an end I still had a week left before my flight back and was tired of the rain and so looked for someplace to get away from it. I looked all over the Fiji Islands and considered going back to Nagaini, over to Taveuni, or to Volivoli Beach Resort on the Rakiraki coast, but the weather forecast was not promising at those places and so I opted to spend my last week in the Yasawa Islands.

I was told by several people that I would be very disappointed with the diving in the Yasawa's but I opted to take my chances in order to get out of the rain. I am realllly glad I did. I ended up at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort on Nacula Island. I contacted the managers, Justin and Mel, and got a great last minute deal and so went for it. It turned out GREAT! Very little rain. Beautiful weather nearly my whole stay and the resort was fantastic. As I said, I had been lead to believe that the diving would not be worth doing, but that was not the case...at least for me. There are several different types of topography at the sites that are easily reachable from the resort and I was plenty happy with the rays, turtles, barracuda, sharks, moray's, and other extensive sealife I saw during these dives. Yellow coral, cabbage patch coral, christmas tree worms and a couple of sites with long swim throughs. They also have a shark dive they do two or three times a week that I liked even better than the ones I did with Bega Adventure divers.

My wife does not dive but we both enjoyed it so much at Blue Lagoon that at the end of our week there we extended our stay for another ten days. I did three dives a day nearly every day of the 17 days we were there and loved every minute of it. The resort has a great vibe and there are fun activities available every night.

Now, we had a great time at Naigani and Matava as well and wouldnt hesitate to go back to either of those places (especially if the damn air fare would go down again) but I dont think I would go back to the Bega Lagoon area during that time of year at all and the later in the time period you are talking about I was going the more likely I would be to just head back to the Yasawa's and not chance the rain. Actually, when we go back to Fiji I am sure that we will spend time at both Naigani and Blue Lagoon Beach Resort. If I could get the right deal I would certainly go back to Matava as well, but again, the later in the year it is the more likely I would stick with the Yasawa's.

If the weather pattern looked good I would LOVE to try Taveuni as well but not sure I would chance doing it much after mid October.

Again, this is based on the weather we encountered during this time period in 2011. I am told that it is pretty typical for that time of year but.................

Not really---their 'hurricanes' can hit during that time period......

Hi
Water temp is relatively cool but warming up towards Jan - see our temp data http://club.skindeepfiji.com/Files/Fiji%20Sea%20Temp.pdf This often gives us better visibility. It is indeed cyclone season but you would have to be very unlucky to be here when one passes through, which is maybe once in a season.
In our summer it is a little bit wetter and a warmer, but generally a great climate all year.
Let me know if you would like any more specific information or suggestions for dive resorts to match your interests / budget.

Cheers
Greg

We were in the region this past January on a cruise from Australia to Tahiti. We had to dodge two cyclones araound New Caledonia as well as Fiji. IMHO just as I would advise against the Carribean during hurricane season it is a real gamble to visit the South Pacific in that region during cyclone season.

We were in Fiji last October and it was GREAT! I have had friends go there in December and hated it because the weather was terrible for their whole trip????????? Have fun!

i dove wananavu last december and had an awesome time - guess these days nothing is certain.

Rain is normal in Fiji. Always.

<<a shark dive they do two or three times a week>> Supermarket? I did some sailing and diving in the Yasawa's too. Agreed that diving was good and view was beautiful. And it rained there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom