Fiji for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz:
(Hey Reuben) Couldn't agree more. If you check my public profile, you'll see I've visited a lot of Caribbean islands...none would come close to matching the abundance and variety of fish life and corals I experienced in Fiji..and I didn't get to dive with Crystal Divers (which, by all accounts, provides a thrilling Fijian dive experience)
I've noticed before that we have some similar travel patterns. I committed for the summer so I'm following you to PNG this year. You have to post a report when you get back so I can read all about your trip before I leave.

Reuben

peterjmaerz:
Quick "for the record"...AquaTrek, the op at Garden Island never tied off onto a reef during my dives with them. There was always a boat captain on board who drifted during our dives and picked us up after.

Best,

How interesting. I was there in Dec 2002 - Jan 2003 and they did in fact tie off, every time. Better call ahead and ask them what they are doing now.

IndigoBlue:
Fijian diving is advanced current diving.
That's a super-generalisation! There's plenty of diving in Fiji that's not current or drift diving. We did a lot of research for our upcoming trip.

From Wash St USA it is along a long, long flight to Fiji.

You would probably be a lot happier at the Kona Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii, or even Mexico or the Caribbean.

For most of the divers I know who go to Fiji, the main draw is that they have been everywhere else already. I would say, that is probably the main draw. There is nothing there that is so spectacular, that it is a must see.

Of course, there are a lot of Australians there. But it is CLOSE to Australia.

IndigoBlue:
From Wash St USA it is along a long, long flight to Fiji.
For most of the divers I know who go to Fiji, the main draw is that they have been everywhere else already. I would say, that is probably the main draw. There is nothing there that is so spectacular, that it is a must see.

It might be better not to start with the most spectacular location for the first trip. When you're new, even an average destination seems fantastic. If you start with the best, many future trips may seem like a letdown. And I think Fiji is fairly high on my list of great sites (at least for the the pristine sites)

Ralph

rcohn:
It might be better not to start with the most spectacular location for the first trip. When you're new, even an average destination seems fantastic. If you start with the best, many future trips may seem like a letdown. And I think Fiji is fairly high on my list of great sites (at least for the the pristine sites)

Ralph

I was thinking the same thing! I started diving in Moorea. Then after that, I did most of my dive trips in the Bahamas & the Caribbean because it was closer & cheaper. While I had a lot of fun on my trips, it certainly took a while to "readjust" my dive expectations.... :wink: (and I'm still working on it....) If it weren't so far away from WA, I'd probably recommend diving in the Bahamas (Nekton) or the Caribbean as a first dive trip. It's enjoyable, relaxed diving....

For me, the diving in Kona was more exciting than Fiji (at least in terms of variety and abundance of sea life). Other than being a bit cold for me, the water conditions were calm.

In Fiji, I would most certainly recommend the Jean-Michel Cousteau resort (that's him with me in my profile pic, taken last summer). The staff and dive guides are wonderful, the accomodations are top-shelf, the diving's great and you have many choices in what kinds of dives you want. You could have a big-fish open water dive at the supermarket or enjoy the amazing coralheads at Alice In Wonderland.
http://www.fijiresort.com/

I'd also recommend the Kosrae Village resort in Kosrae, Micronesia. The most incredible diving I've ever done!!!
http://www.kosraevillage.com

Write me if you would like more info on either. Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom