Fiji or Tahiti or Vanuatu (March/April)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Report is presently still in my Brain, 2200 pictures on the laptop of the 4000 we shot.

I love my new camera rigs.

Flew to Taveuni and stayed at Maravu resort, walked through Garden Island resort (a motel if you ask me) then headed down to Beqa Island and stayed a second visit at Kulu Bay.

Tons of Corals, Tons of sharks, Three Manta Rays, and 16 dives later we're back home in cold damp rainy seattle. sigh.

PM me with an email addy and I'll send you a few photos. Trip report to come.

almitywife:
hi Jen

personally i found fiji diving a dissappointment. it was overpriced and dive operators didnt dive on days i had booked (boat problem, staff didnt show up) so we had alot of days of non diving.

Wow, you must have been to a different Fiji than I just came back from (November 16 -28). The first 3 nights were spent at a resort focused on relaxation and just enough diving to make it interesting. Matamanoa Resort was laid-back and fantastic. Locaate on its own island, an hour and a quarter West of Nadi with just 60 guests! The diving in the Mamanuca's is hard coral diving and the on-site operator made it all easy.

Our trip on the Nai'a was simply perfect. While the Agressor goes to many of the same spots, the crew on the Nai'a is treated better by the owners (read as more time off), and is reflected in their attitudes - they became friends by the end of the trip. The boat is a bit bigger as well. You can see some of my images at http://www.allenhost.com/gallery/main.php

DSC_0238+copy.jpg

DSC_0082++small+copy.jpg

One good fiji shot deserves another.

Lets see if this works, first attached picture from my recent trip. Love my new strobe and wide angle lens like I said.

BULA!

Attachments

• PC180386a.JPG
    PC180386a.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 59
I was diving Bega Lagoon with Aquatrek about 3 months ago, did some great diving and I was very happy with the op. We stayed in Tsulu, which is somewhere between a 5 star resort and a backpackers - they have great facilities but offer budget accomadation.

I've also dived in Vanuatu - and can't go on enough about the great food, crystal clear water and the great dives I had. Vanuatu was by far the best vis I have ever dived in - over 130 feet of vis. Truly amazing. and that was only in Efate, I have not yet been to Santo.

Fiji is probably a good choice right now - the whole "civil war" thing that the fearmongers are portraying means the average person who thinks what their Govt says is gospel wont go, which means empty hotels, empty boats and cheap prices.

Anyway, here is a link to some of my Fiji pics

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n1/EtherealZee/Fiji/

and some samples...

wreck dive
diversframed.jpg

silvertip
silvertipclose.jpg

Ribbon eel

ell.jpg

some coral

fijicoral.jpg

(please note - I have no strobe! These are the best I could do with what I had.

And this is the Bar/Pool area of Tsulu, the place we stayed

tsulupool.jpg

Z...

I have been to that spot in Tahiti. That particular spot is just what you see: white sand and that's it. You know what lives in sand. Pretty much nothing. I stayed in the bungalow on the end at the edge of the blue water.

Tahiti was nice and beautiful but Fiji has it beat in cost and definitely in attitude.

I would go to both but I'm sure the cultural experience, which is what it will turn out to be, will be much more personal in Fiji.

almitywife:
civil war is a bit rough :D ... its having a bit of political turmoil but there are no deaths, violence or warfare (the army removed guns from the police weeks ago)

if fiji is your thing... go and enjoy...i would just avoid Suva

Would you avoid Suva COMPLETELY...or just to hang out in? We are looking at flying into Suva and then staying at a resort between Suva and Pacific Harbour for 5 nights. We will actually fly back out of Nadi, not Suva.

Jennifer

i wouldnt have a problem with flying in or out of Suva

even staying a night before/after the flight i wouldnt mind too much so yes, go if your plane arrives in Suva and dont worry

boy - all this dive trip talk,... i gotta start planning as im missing out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom