Fiji or Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phil_g

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm thinking about a week trip to either Fiji or Tahiti in late November. I'm looking at these two locations since I can get a direct flight from Los Angeles and I only have a week...have never dived either place.

Can anyone offer advice on the best dive locations and if diving could be considered better in either Fiji or Tahiti (I can only choose one or the other) and the best places these areas to spend a week of diving? My wife and I like macro/coral/big stuff, so variety is nice...

Thanks!
-Phil

I have been to neither but research leads me to believe that:
1. Fiji has better soft corals and fish life.
2 Tahiti is good for sharks and humpbacks.
3. Fiji has numerous dive resorts and two liveaboards.
4 Tahiti is more of a honeymoon destination.
5. I plan on diving Fiji on board the Nai'a (#1 rated liveaboard) next year.

I have been to both. Fiji is much better diving and much cheaper. I suggest a liveaboard in Fiji for the best diving. If a land based resort, Wananavu and Volivoli are better than Beqa, because they dive the Bligh Waters, arguably the best diving in Fiji.

Thank you Doubler - really appreciate the feedback, any particular area in Fiji you would recommend spending the entire week (resort based), since we don't have enough time to dive multiple locations and move around?

-Phil

Thank you for the feedback Bbarada - have you also dived the Taveuni area? If so, how would you compare it to Bligh Waters?

-Phil

Thank you Mathauck...did you also dive the Taveuni area or just Bligh? A couple questions for you (or anyone else)...

- At Wananavu is it possible to do 3 dives per day?
- How many divers per boat/per guide?
- Do they split up advanced/photographers from beginners?
- How are the dive sites selected (would more advanced divers be taken to beginner sites if there are beginners on the boat)?
- How strict are they about the diving (depth, length of dives, etc)?

Thanks again, and really appreciate all the advice from everyone!!

-Phil

my name says it all. been to wananavu 3 times now and going back december. great place great diving. you let em know what you wanna do and they'll try there darndest to make it happen. 3 tanks is possible, night dives possible, if your into photo then they'll look after you. probably best talk to the new dive guys direct with specifics. taveuni? nice, but extra plane ride & $$$$ and not necessarily better diving. but paradise taveuni is good. let me know if you want any more info

Phil,
This is what I would do:

Island Dancer II — Fiji

Package Inclusions: Seven nights onboard the Island Dancer II, all meals and beverages (including national brands of alcohol), group airport transfers in Suva, 5 and ½ days of diving up to four or five dives per day, land excursions on some days, other Dancer Fleet® services and amenities.
2011 Rates 2012 Rates 2013 Rates
Deluxe Owners Deluxe Owners Deluxe Owners
$2795 $2995 $2895 $3095 $2995 $3195

Basically all inclusive and five dives a day, Bligh Waters! Do the math.

- At Wananavu is it possible to do 3 dives per day?
The boat allowed for consensus on the boat to add a third tank to the boat morning - many mornings we were the only people on the boat, so this was easy. You can also arrange for tanks to be left at the dock for shore diving which is interesting so long as visibility cooperates in the channel.
- How many divers per boat/per guide?
After the first day we dove on our own. Just talk to the guys on the boat, they're fairly reasonable.
- Do they split up advanced/photographers from beginners?
Again, we mostly dove on our own. Wife had her camera and we were allowed to do deeper/light deco diving as we had the equipment and training for it (provided we didn't violate the total run time for the site and make everyone wait for us).
- How are the dive sites selected (would more advanced divers be taken to beginner sites if there are beginners on the boat)?
When we were there it was based on conditions, which were variable on account of some weather.
- How strict are they about the diving (depth, length of dives, etc)?
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. We were unguided and dove within the limits of our training. Other than that, the boat asked that we limit dives to 60 minutes in most cases, which wasn't usually an issue.

Thanks again, and really appreciate all the advice from everyone!!

-Phil[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom