Fiji or Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Matangi. It's in the Taveuni area but it's a bit pricey. Very close to Yellow and Noel's walls and has plenty of diving around Qamea island (close) and Somosomo straights.
If you have questions about the resort, I would contact them directly. They were responsive when we went there.

Further, there are other resorts in the area on Qamea and Taveuni itself. There are quite a few threads on the area in this sub-forum that discuss diving, accomodations, travel, etc around Taveuni.

It sounds like you're leaning towards Fiji. I think there was a similar Fiji vs. Tahiti thread maybe a week before this one in this forum if you still want information.

Not sure if this information now muddies the waters or not for location in Fiji.

My first dive trip ever was to Tahiti - I loved it but my second was to Fiji and I've been back to Fiji about 20 times, but never been back to Tahiti. Tahiti is all crystal clear blue water and hard corals with not nearly the colour or diversity of Fiji. I love Beqa Lagoon Resort (I would actually maybe rank it a little ahead of Wananavu (factoring in the shark dive). The Bligh Waters is great diving, but you won't necessarily get to see the best sites out of Wananavu. I've actually had 2 trips to Naigani (north of Suva) in The Lomaivit Islands and believe me - this is some of the best soft coral and hard coral pinnacle diving I have ever seen. Add in the Wakaya Wall and Naigani is way up there. But - it is a homely resort and not for those wanting luxury or a professional dive operation ..... more they have a dive concession that just gets a few divers ever so often. Pity - some of the best diving in Fiji and only a few get to do it. I've also dives Kadavu 5 or 6 times from 3 resorts and rank Kadavu quite highly as well. I suppose our favourite over the years has been Beqa Lagoon Resort - a pretty sure bet.

I have been to Tahiti three times, and to Fiji once. I would strongly advise choosing Fiji. I just returned from a trip to Tahiti, and I was very disappointed with the corals around Bora Bora; they have been decimated by crown of thorns. It was much worse than the previous times I had been there. While the corals around the Society Islands of Tahiti have never been very colorful, they were pretty in their own way. Now there are huge patches of rubble. There are still lots of sharks, and mantas in season, but the quality of diving is way down.

I stayed at the Matangi Resort off of Taveuni in Fiji last year, and loved it. The water clarity was great at most of the dive sites I went to. A friend of mine stayed at the Garden Island Resort on Taveuni, and thought it was excellent, too. As mentioned previously, Fiji is also much less expensive than Tahiti.

Just got back from diving in Bequa Lagoon and the Bligh waters. Aqua Trek shark dive is a must!
Had the pleasure of seeing a Tiger shark among many other sharks and fish! We did see some HUGE nudis ( they looked about a foot long..really) but otherwise the diving was average in Bequa. We moved up to dive the Bligh and it was wonderful diving. The corals are fantastic!!! I did miss seeing the small stuff out in the Bligh and actually liked the dive we did inside the passage.( lots of stuff) The viz was much better in the Bligh. Have fun on your trip there!

Be aware that the northern Veti Levu land based dive ops like Wananavu do NOT go to Bligh Waters everyday, they are dependant on conditions and the skill and number of divers. The economics of the trip to Bligh Waters is a real limiting factor, especially some of the more remote sites. If you're lucky you might dive it every other day, if not maybe you get shut out.

My choices for consistantly good diving everyday, in no order are: Taveuni, Kadavu, Matangi, Qamea & Koro, etc. All are out in or proximate to the channels and walls for which Fiji is famous.

All great dive sites - one day try Naigani Island over in the Lomaiviti group - the Wakaya Wall is one of the best wall dives I've ever done. BTW who did you dive Koro with.

the latest on wananvu is new op and i'm told not the same restriction on the bligh apart from weather. i'm there next month, i'll let y'all know

the latest on wananvu is new op and i'm told not the same restriction on the bligh apart from weather. i'm there next month, i'll let y'all know

The early reports in Undercurrent give this new op (Reef Safaris) some positive comments. They should be hitting their stride by the time you go; looking forward to your update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom