Fiji: Savusavu or Taveuni?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
We are going to Fiji in August for 16 days, and I have already gotten some useful information reading previous posts. Our holiday will be a combination of diving and other activities. We are going to do the shark dive and rafting after arrival, and in the end heading to Treasure Island for some white sand beach. I am now trying to figure out the middle part and would appreciate comments on Savusavu and Taveuni.
We would love to see hammerheads. They are still on our list of underwater things to see! The other dive sites in the area are all fine for us. Taveuni has more to do on the island (crossing the dateline, climbing the volcano), but do they dive Dream House (which as far I have understood is the place to see hammerheads)? We were thinking of doing 6 days in Savusavu (diving) and 2 days on Taveuni (seeing the island), but there is no daily ferry which makes travel from one island to another a bit more difficult. Does someone have recent experience taking the ferry (https://goundarshipping.com/schedule.html)? Are we better off sticking to either Savusavu or Taveuni?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!
Parla

Hi
There is a way to avoid the ferry. I did this a couple of years ago.
Fly to Savusavu and do the hammers at dreamhouse with Koro Sun dive for a while then it is an hours drive up the hibiscus highway in a taxi to Buca Bay and spend some time at Sau Bau Dive Resort [they will pick you up at Buca Bay in their boat]
Sau is about 10 minutes from the rainbow reefs. They will take you on a short ride across to Taveuni where you can be picked up by your Taveuni resort.
This can be easily organized by the resorts as they all work in with each other.
Sau Bay is a great resort and also if you get to Savusavu make sure you dive Namena and although expensive Savasi Island resort is amazing.
You can fly out of Taveuni.

Hi Garycrano,
Thank you so much for the information. We will check the resorts you mentioned, and hopefully do both Savusavu and Taveuni.

Cheers,
Parla

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom