Fiji -- Wanavanu or Beqa? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey KUFan452, diving has been great around Beqa... heaps of great dive spots and the tiger shark made an appearance at the shark feeding!!! It swum right over me. Temperatures are 24-25C, viz 25-30m and I've been very warm (too hot sometimes) in my 3mm but everyone else in my group had 7mm. Most people (except me! :p) got cold on the dives in 3mm or 5mm. Only complaint is that we had unseasonal rain so we could not shore dive two days because the viz went down to a 1m. It clears up quickly though and viz was 15-20m off shore at Beqa Lagoon Resort. Not sure about where you are staying though. Have a great trip :)

I’ve got pictures of the resort and underwater on Flickr under woodiver15. The photo stream has both topside and underwater pictures. The underwater shots are a mix of 75 % inland sites and 25% Bligh waters so this should give you an idea of what to expect if you choose Wananavu.

Awesome picture quality on your underwater shots!

Awesome!! Sounds good! We'll be there in summer so I won't worry about being cold! Thanks for the update. We'll likely stay a Lalati so hopefully the shore diving will be as good.

Been to Beqa many times in the past ten years and went to Wananavu in 2008 and here are pictures from Nov 2008 from both places: Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

I can recommend both highly! Wananavu is completely different diving and experience! The village life and cultural experience can't be beat on Beqa and the diving is better on the north coast! It is some of Fiji's best diving and now that the dive operations have changed and the CROOK that used to be there is gone it is a lot better! Make sure you book through the resort and not a dive operator! The Manager and his family are the nicest folks at Wananavu and it means "Wonderful" in fijian!

480__MG_0339_Wananavu_Beach_Resort_2008.jpg

Tell them Papa Bear sent you:wink:

hi, i just got back from fiji a couple of wks ago and i was disappointed with the diving out from wananavu resort. I think, due to your time constraints, definitely stick with beqa (uprising resort was nice to stay in @ pacific harbour). I also did the shark dive there but didn't see any tigers - they don't show up every day unfortunately so it's left up to luck. Hope it doesn't rain too much for your trip!!

Thanks Bubbles! We've already booked at Lalati and we certainly can't control the rain or the tigers, so I won't worry about that! I'm curious however what you didn't like about Wanavanu? The resort? The diving?

Plus, we're headed to Brisbane before Fiji -- any suggestions as to what to do while we're there? You can send me a PM. Thanks!

I stayed at volivoli resort - 5mins boat ride from wananavu resort. Divers staying @ wananavu resort didn't have anything bad to say about it. The diving was disappointing for a few reasons:
1) vis didn't get past 10m
2) the water was way cooler than we had all anticipated (we were all freezing in our 3mm)
3) no big fish action (only attraction was the soft coral - but without the good viz even it looked
ordinary)
4) diving to the bligh waters (best dive spot out from wananavu) was very limited and a 80min
boat ride (only got to go there once in a wk)

Are you wanting general tourist advice for brisbane or diving destinations???

Back
Top Bottom