Fiji???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it's the only flight (code share with Quantas/Air NZ and perhaps even American)....I didn't know at the time but as I flew AA up from florida to LA, I could have checked my bags all the way through to Nadi, (instead of picking them up in LA, trundling over to the other terminal and re-checking them :dork2: ) - at least i got my FF points though.

We just got back - the flight was crammed, other than that - great trip with great diving.

We did a week on Kadavu with Dive Kadavu and the Mantana Beach Resort, then a week on the north side of the main island with Kai Viti Divers at the Wananavu resort. If doing the Kai Viti thing, paying extra for the long range 3-tank dive days is well worth it - you do much better dive sites than the more local 2-tanker

apology to op for the thread hijack......I am flying AA fm Texas....do you recommend checking luggage all the way to Nadi???? anything to bring on the flight that they don't provide to make the looooonnnng flight for comfortable....I have heard the flight attendants pretty much leave you on your own...

Also we will also be staying at Wananavu Resort a few days before we board the Nai'a any recommendations while staying there as to things to do besides diving of course...PM me if you like

thanks
Ann

for the checked bags things - upto you. It wasn't a biggie to wheel my bags to the International Terminal - at least I knew they'd made it to LA and sdo had some comfort level that they would arrive in Fiji. I had to go to the counter to get a boarding pass anyhow so it didn't really add any time. I had plenty of time to spare with the crappy connections i needed to make anyhow, so didn't mind waiting for my luggage to arrive in LA.

the international terminal that air pacific leaves from in LA doesn't really have a great deal of things in it after you have gone through security (but the security line did seem quite long and slow), so if you're really early you may want to wait a little to go through - after security there was only one small bar that also sold snacks and one newsagent (no books, just magazines) - there were a few more things in the treminal before security.

yep - as you leave at about 11:30pm, basically they feed you then leave you alone. I prefer to eat before hand and try to sleep, ignoring the airplane "food" - you get to Nadi at around 5am. ....seats are crammed in but not much you can do about that.

wananavu - i just dived :) - but there may be hikes to waterfalls, BBQ on an island types of things.

That is good to know.....that there is not really any place to eat once you enter the international terminal....so I guess it is a good idea to stop beforehand and eat something....it has been 20 yrs since I have been to LAX or Fiji....so the information is helpful....we do arrive LAX around 8:00pm so I am sure I will be hungry:D

That is good to know.....that there is not really any place to eat once you enter the international terminal....so I guess it is a good idea to stop beforehand and eat something....it has been 20 yrs since I have been to LAX or Fiji....so the information is helpful....we do arrive LAX around 8:00pm so I am sure I will be hungry:D

On the way to Fiji, I was on Stu's flight, but sitting quite a ways behind him. They ran out of food before they got to me for the "evening" meal. Then in the "morning" meal, they ran out of drinks before they got to me. (I suspect Stu asked for double portions in both instances). So a few pocket snacks might be in order.

On the flight back to the States, Stu was still in Fiji. We didn't run out of anything. :D

Art

On the way to Fiji, I was on Stu's flight, but sitting quite a ways behind him. They ran out of food before they got to me for the "evening" meal. Then in the "morning" meal, they ran out of drinks before they got to me. (I suspect Stu asked for double portions in both instances). So a few pocket snacks might be in order.

On the flight back to the States, Stu was still in Fiji. We didn't run out of anything. :D

Art

LOL...too funny....yeah I have heard some horror stories about Air Pacific....so I am planning on bringing some snacks etc....amazing how an airline that has X amount of seats and it never changes and presumably they are all full....seems that you would have enough meals for everyone... jeez:shakehead:

Is Bequa Lagoon Resort mostly about sharks and shark dives, or is it easy to get to and do other diving from there? I was looking into the place and can't tell for sure. We have nothing against sharks being around some, just not interested in focusing on it or diving with them all the time. (Definitely not into any kind of feed or organized shark dives.) I'm exploring Fiji options too and it's hard to figure out what places are the best match for us.

Is Bequa Lagoon Resort mostly about sharks and shark dives, or is it easy to get to and do other diving from there? I was looking into the place and can't tell for sure. We have nothing against sharks being around some, just not interested in focusing on it or diving with them all the time. (Definitely not into any kind of feed or organized shark dives.) I'm exploring Fiji options too and it's hard to figure out what places are the best match for us.

The shark feed dive is an "extra" at Beqa Lagoon Resort. The regular boat dives are to various sites around Beqa Lagoon; while you might encounter a shark or two on a few of these dives, the dives concentrate on the coral, fish, invertebrates, etc. If you want to go on the shark feed dive you have to sign up for that dive and also pay more, since these dives are run by dive ops from the "Mainland" (Viti Levu).

Those who prefer to skip the shark feed dive usually use that day doing shore dives, swimming in the salt water pool, resting, reading, etc.

Peace,
Dave

Just a few things, since we just returned from 2 weeks in Fiji, the first week on board the Fiji Aggressor 3, the second week at Beqa.

The Fiji Aggressor 3 is the best boat in the Aggressor fleet that we've been on yet (and we've been on most of them).

Bega Lagoon is an incredible resort. OMG. The staff is awesome, the bures are clean and nicely appointed, the food was waaaayyyy better than we expected.

Regarding Beqa:

• It's not a diving vacation. It's a vacation during which you incidentally dive.
  • The shark dive was a yawn. I mean it. Unless excitement for you is watching a trio of FAT nurse sharks stick their heads into garbage containers of fish parts is exciting.
  • The diving is a mandated follow-the-leader guided tour. If that's your style, cool. If you can find your own way back to the boat, the only way we got some independence was by outbreathing the divemasters.
  • The divemasters - and all the staff, for that matter - work really, really hard to make sure you have a good time.
  • Take your regulator back to your bure.
  • Mark your gear. Big letters, especially weight pouches and weight belts.
  • If you like snacks, stop at the store on the main island before you get on the boat to Beqa, and get some munchies. At $4 a pop, snacks in the bar get expensive fast.
  • Do yourself a favor, and take a nap in a hammock, with the afternoon breeze...priceless.
With all that said, we'd go back in a heartbeat! With the above caveats (and they may not even apply to you) Beqa Lagoon Resort is simply stellar. And the Fiji people are awesome.

Oh, and Air Pacific? We swore we'd never fly with them again unless it was virtually the only airline going to our destination...

Enjoy your trip!

All the best, James

Mos is top notch on the III and Captain Ned is as well! We had his son on board in Dec as a steward and he did a great job! You must have seen a few Reed's Rods and got to see them in action! I have been going to Beqa for 7 years and we will be going back in November! The Big Fish feed can be really cool even when the sharks don't show since they get Queensland Grouper as big as a VW! It is by far my favorite place to be!

Back
Top Bottom