Filefish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ponyfeathers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!

I was curious as to what type of fish this is. There was seaweed floating on the surface of the beach today, (Indian Rocks Beach area of Florida) and if you picked some of the clusters up these little fish tried to follow the clump of seaweed. You could pick it up halfway out of the water and drag it around the surface and they would dart all around you. I had my new camera with me, but i couldnt see because of the sun glare if i was getting them or not, but i got a few photos and videos.

Pygmy Filefish? pictures, photos, and videos, from beaches on webshots

The videos are probably a little clearer than the photos, however since i wasnt able to see what i was shooting through the camera screen and the waves were moving me, the fish never stood still, and the seaweed was moving at the same time the videos aren't very steady.

I thought initially maybe baby longhorn cowfish, but then upon looking at my fish ID book I thought maybe Pygmy Filefish. They were very tiny, maybe 3/4 to 1 inch long and maybe 3/4 of an inch tall. They have the fanned tail like a filefish or boxfish.

Thanks in advance!

I would agree that they are juvenile pygmy filefish. The juveniles are commonly found in clumps of sargassum if you look carefully, which you did!

wow I see these all the time in the treasure island area! Good to know what they are. I've also seen some that were darker than those. Does anyone know if they come in different shades?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom