Filling LP tanks to high pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm. That comparison is not even remotely valid. Ox tox is very real, and kills people regularly....lp tanks however DONT explode when overfilled unless they are weakened by corrosion....prove me wrong...please.

Be careful what you ask for.

You are crazy.

To elaborate on that, if I am diving to 120fsw on 30%, and running a bottom time of 70 minutes, I need more than double 130's. I would need 277cuft of gas in the event of lost deco gas. So, I fill my lp 121's to 3500, and get 312 cuft of gas....it's called a reserve. Before you tell me to carry stages, realize that I'm penetrating wrecks, and already have an 80 with 50/50 and a 40 of O2..... More than that and penetrating tight wrecks is just a nightmare.

You guys are really bad at these calculations. Lp121's at 3500 are NOT 312cu' of gas. Geesh.
121/2640 (rated pressure at 121) = .0458333333 x 3500 (pressure we're filling them to) = 160.41666666667 x 2 (double tanks) = 320.833333cu' of gas.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

I too believe that was a dumb comparison. I also don't know anyone diving at 1.7 or 1.8ppo2. They deserve a punch in the ding ding if they think they'll get away with that for very long.

Ummm. That comparison is not even remotely valid. Ox tox is very real, and kills people regularly....lp tanks however DONT explode when overfilled unless they are weakened by corrosion....prove me wrong...please.

Be careful what you ask for.

Go for it.

You are crazy.

To elaborate on that, if I am diving to 120fsw on 30%, and running a bottom time of 70 minutes, I need more than double 130's. I would need 277cuft of gas in the event of lost deco gas. So, I fill my lp 121's to 3500, and get 312 cuft of gas....it's called a reserve. Before you tell me to carry stages, realize that I'm penetrating wrecks, and already have an 80 with 50/50 and a 40 of O2..... More than that and penetrating tight wrecks is just a nightmare.

You guys are really bad at these calculations. Lp121's at 3500 are NOT 312cu' of gas. Geesh.
121/2640 (rated pressure at 121) = .0458333333 x 3500 (pressure we're filling them to) = 160.41666666667 x 2 (double tanks) = 320.833333cu' of gas.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

I too believe that was a dumb comparison. I also don't know anyone diving at 1.7 or 1.8ppo2. They deserve a punch in the ding ding if they think they'll get away with that for very long.
Yeah it was quick math in my head vice using 6 places after the decimal....my bad..the point remains the same though. Sometimes the best option is to use a water jug to hold oil.

Unless they're weakened or corroded or you have an accident or whatever. Don't really care. Pump it up all you want. I'm far enough away that I won't even notice.

However, up north where government regulations are still in force, you're advocating a practice that would get the shop a bunch of OSHA fines and a cancelled insurance policy if word got out.

Who says I fill at a shop? OSHA has no jurisdiction in my garage flots.

And for what it's worth, you would be equally in danger if you had a non overfilled tank in your trunk and got rear ended.

This sounds a lot like the Nitrox logs where divers that regularly dive with a 1.4 PO2 jack it up to 1.7 or 1.8 because they're "going deep"
My all-time favorite was standing at the wall-mounted Nitrox analyzer at a resort, and the husband was analyzing tanks for his wife and himself. He put his hand on the calibration knob, pointed to the LCD where it showed 31.7, and asked her what percentage she wanted in her tank for this dive. 34 she says, so he cranks on the knob until it shows 34. :facepalm:

My all-time favorite was standing at the wall-mounted Nitrox analyzer at a resort, and the husband was analyzing tanks for his wife and himself. He put his hand on the calibration knob, pointed to the LCD where it showed 31.7, and asked her what percentage she wanted in her tank for this dive. 34 she says, so he cranks on the knob until it shows 34. :facepalm:

Saw that in Tobermory at the place right in front of the dock. The girl (tank monkey) got really snotty when I questioned her procedure. I didn't dive the tank.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like the Nitrox logs where divers that regularly dive with a 1.4 PO2 jack it up to 1.7 or 1.8 because they're "going deep"

That is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom