Filling Your Own Tanks - Oxygen Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlIrishman:
I'm Glad to Hear that your so PERFECTLY QUALIFIED! I'm also glad that your way up north and I'm down here in FLORIDA!
Just out of curiosity, FlIrishman, just exactly what qualifications and practices would you consider to be "safe enough?" I've reread Mike's post and I see no claim of perfection... on the contrary, I see a healthy caution expressed for oxygen handling. I guess I'm just surprised at your reaction to a sane post from a highly qualified and respected mixed-gas professional.
Rick

do it easy:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it looks like all the steel tanks survived and the one the popped was aluminum.
Well, the one in the picture that's popped is aluminum. Whether its rupture is the cause of the fire or the fire is the cause of its rupture I can't tell, but aluminum it is... :)
Rick

So where is the rest of the story?

mike_s:
Hopefully this isn't part of WhalerKyle's "I would like to see a tank explode" experiment.
Some one go get him, he needs to see this. :11:

cerich:
Do ya think it's fair to the responding fire department to walk into what seems like a simple garage fire (expecting a fire started by solvents/regs/cigarettes) to be walking into a blaze that has compressed oxygen cylinders involved?
Just a thought, but the number of folks with welding outfits in their garages that have pure O2 probably outnumber the home gas-stackers by 1,000 to one. At least.

We're a mere drop in the bucket.

And the welders operate in a far dirtier environment.

Roak

roakey:
Just a thought, but the number of folks with welding outfits in their garages that have pure O2 probably outnumber the home gas-stackers by 1,000 to one. At least.

We're a mere drop in the bucket.

And the welders operate in a far dirtier environment.

Roak

and a much lower working pressure.

And do not move the O2 from one tank to another. But I still don't want an O2 tank in my attached garage.

Given the sensationalized coverage the media places on every accident even remotely related to diving, one would think that the FL news media would be full of reports on this. In about an hour of searching, I was disappointed to find nothing. Anyone else find more info?

Why does everyone assume this was a garage? There are 2 beds in it along with furniture. There are no garage doors present. I could better assume this was caused by 2 teens smoking in the room as much as someone filling tanks. The beds in the rooms are that for children and I don't see filling tanks in a childs room to be smart so I would assume this was just a tank that burst from the fire

Back
Top Bottom