Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any info on when they surfaced as compared to the planned dive time? Was it an early return indicating trouble.

PON PON's still being issued by the USCG on VHF channel 16 moments ago.

PON PON's still being issued by the USCG on VHF channel 16 moments ago.
What is a pon pon? Google was not helpful in explaining it.

Heard his buddy was Peter Sotis. Hopefully he can shed some light on what happened.
If true, that wouldn't exactly be a "dive buddy borrowed rebreather deepest dive" scenario, as Peter is an instructor in good standing for almost every unit and an expedition instructor as well.

It is a emergency broadcast on the vhf marine radio to be on alert for missing person, hazard to navigation etc.
it's often used that way, but it is also used by a vessel in trouble/distress that is not in immediate danger. For instance my engine on a boat stops working, no immediate danger and I would make "pan pan, motor vessel scuba diver is disabled and not under power, request assistance for a tow" then as I drift lets say the boat starts sinking or starts to get driven towards something by the wind/current, then the appropriate radio call is "mayday, Mayday, motor vessel scuba diver is sinking, I am located at (insert location)

That is how it should work, in practice, too may use mayday when Pan Pan is appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom