Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most in the oil field.
My BIL came from a long line of fishermen. Very few swimmers among them.

Same deal. Dump out of a boat in the North Atlantic 200 miles from shore and it doesn't help a bit to be able to swim.

My BIL came from a long line of fishermen. Very few swimmers among them.

Same deal. Dump out of a boat in the North Atlantic 200 miles from shore and it doesn't help a bit to be able to swim.
But I’ll bet they can don a survival suit and kick their boots off like nobodies business

Yea but thats not what we are talking about. We are talking about whether or not a dive operation should have a protocol to retrieve an unresponsive diver. They absolutely should. Like I said I was under the impression they did, at least they said they did. Now they are saying not their problem, super weird.

Yea but thats not what we are talking about. We are talking about whether or not a dive operation should have a protocol to retrieve an unresponsive diver. They absolutely should. Like I said I was under the impression they did, at least they said they did. Now they are saying not their problem, super weird.
Because I ran NOAA and other government and research charters, I had to have written operations and emergency procedures. As a former nuke, this wasn’t a hardship.

But if you have procedures, you will be held to them. Most folks don’t want this, so they don’t write them.

There is a protocol. That’s not where this started. Someone said the captain should jump over. That’s certainly not the protocol. Let’s put 12 people at risk to save one. Seems dumb to me.

Because I ran NOAA and other government and research charters, I had to have written operations and emergency procedures. As a former nuke, this wasn’t a hardship.

But if you have procedures, you will be held to them. Most folks don’t want this, so they don’t write them.

It was following those written procedures that cost us three mile island. We knew the procedures were wrong, but followed them anyway, right to the end.

Now they are saying not their problem, super weird.

What, seriously? You expect them to come out with mea maximissima culpa, we killed the guy just as sure as put a bullet in his head?

There is a protocol. That’s not where this started. Someone said the captain should jump over. That’s certainly not the protocol. Let’s put 12 people at risk to save one. Seems dumb to me.

Thats not what I said, I said someone should jump over and if they fail to do so the captain should jump over.

It was the owner of HD that said they were "not responsible" as of the article posted today. Others said that a "dive boat is merely a taxi with no liability of your safety" which I think is insane.

You should def have someone designated to be the person that jumps in if someone is on the surface in distress. If this isn't preplanned then you would have to figure it out during the event which would not be fun.

Keep in mind I am not saying they bear responsibility here because the diver gave the ok signal, I just find it odd that the owner of a charter boat would say "hey were just the taxi". Not the dive boat I wanna be on for sure.

It was the owner of HD that said they were "not responsible" as of the article posted today.
It's my understanding that the dive group waved the need for a safety diver provided by HD at the dock and in fact, requested Add Helium, ei Sotis et al to act in that capacity. No, I can't share how I know that to be true. However, it's a pretty safe bet that the attorneys involved will pull any and everything out of context in order to prove their side. It's not that they are a-holes, but they are a-holes. They will be the only ones to 'win' in the end. The Stewarts won't get their son back and HD is losing lots of time and money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom