Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I ran NOAA and other government and research charters, I had to have written operations and emergency procedures. As a former nuke, this wasn’t a hardship.

But if you have procedures, you will be held to them. Most folks don’t want this, so they don’t write them.
The Tina Watson case, IIRC, the op got in some trouble because they were within the regs, but not within their own written procedures.

The Tina Watson case, IIRC, the op got in some trouble because they were within the regs, but not within their own written procedures.
Exactly, same with the Becky Bryson case in Virginia.

That is correct. Mike Ball had a rule that every diver was required to do a checkout dive. There was no law requiring it; it was just their standard procedure. They waived that requirement because Gabe convinced them that his NASDS Rescue Diver certification made him a safe companion for newly certified Tina. (Convincing Mike Ball to waive the requirement was apparently not a tall order.) Gabe turned out to be so very incompetent that many people thought he must have killed Tina intentionally. Mike Ball was fined for failing to follow their own rules, but the fine was pretty minimal considering the consequences of that failure.

It's easy to see all the arm chair quarterbacks here have no cold water experience. Up our way unless a boat crew is fully dressed in drysuit, gloves and hood his survival expectation could be less than the victim they were attempting to rescue. It takes me a solid 10 minutes to get dressed in thermal underwear, drysuit, dry gloves and hood and that is if I hurry. Expecting a boat crew to jump in the icy waters of Western Canada on PNW for that matter is ridiculous. Much easier to turn the boat around and use a lifesling to haul the victim out.

Yea but were not talking about up there. You and I know that diving is totally different, and that down here you have people learning to dive with much less experience.

It's easy to see all the arm chair quarterbacks here have no cold water experience. Up our way unless a boat crew is fully dressed in drysuit, gloves and hood his survival expectation could be less than the victim they were attempting to rescue. It takes me a solid 10 minutes to get dressed in thermal underwear, drysuit, dry gloves and hood and that is if I hurry. Expecting a boat crew to jump in the icy waters of Western Canada on PNW for that matter is ridiculous. Much easier to turn the boat around and use a lifesling to haul the victim out.
If you have a safety diver they are expected to be in the water in some very small amount of time, forget the exact time. So they need to be completely dressed with all their gear ready to go.

Let’s not confuse a standby diver with a safety diver. Standby diver is a commercial and scientific diver term for the guy who is suited up, ready to dive minus his air source. A safety diver is the guy in the water with someone who is distracted by the job they are performing, usually filming or acting, and is required by the production company and insurance company. I have been the safety diver on a number of film shoots. My insurance company would never cover me to be a safety diver for someone uncertified.

Yes but not only was the water much warmer in this case so pretty much anyone but the captain could have jumped in with shorts... They didn't even toss the deceased a floatation device which is a CG requirement to have aboard and accessible. And then the captain had the audacity to claim that he was doing a Williamson turn in testimony - which is just all kinds of wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom