Fin/Mask- This girls wonders??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinkbubbles

Reaction score
Is any of this stuff made for us??? You’re only as ugly as your last dive.
Ok so I realize it's not a fashion show. The fish don't care.

I'm just getting used to my fins and mask (only 25 dives)
Maybe it will just take more "down under time"......

Are we really stuck with equipment that was designed for men?
(i'm so sick of that, everything seems to be molded around 'them')

How comfortable are you ladies in your fins and masks, i'll leave the wet suits to another post.

I have Tusa Split fins <170$>and an Oceanic (sp?) mask <70$>

Before I buy more, which I will - all I want to do for the rest of my days is dive. But I'm so bummed. I thought that the rental stuff was old and used and not the best quality......
I don't think my new stuff is much better. (not sure yet)

I'm 5''2', 125lbs. By no means a whimp. I can suck it up and run with the big dogs. I don't whine over blisters and sun burns and thing such as that.

Tell me girls, am I asking too much, or not asking the right WOMEN?????? :confused:

You're just talking about fins and masks? There are dozens of different masks being made that covers just about every variable face shape....totally sexless in design. The manufacturer's are beginning to produce gear aimed at children since the cert. age has been dropped to 10. I've had several women in classes who have found the smaller childern's masks to fit them pretty well for narrow faces. Also some fins are now being made in x-small.

As for the rest of your gear...

Best advice I can give you is suck it up and make do with what you can find! Is it fair? No it's not. The manufacturer's answer to our requests for women's gear was to introduce some new colors! And it's not just women who have to put up with ill-fitting off the rack/shelf gear. There are tall men and short men that also have a problem. Unfortunately, there's very little gear made especially for women...a few BC's is about it.

Tell me girls, am I asking too much, or not asking the right WOMEN??????
Asking the right women isn't your problem. You need to be writing to the research and developement departments of the manufacturers and telling them your complaints. If we don't make our needs known, how do you expect to have them answered?

My fins (Apollo Bio-Fins & Atomic Splits) fit me just fine. My SeaVision mask is over 5 years old and still going.

I have no problems with my fins (a very white-sliced-bread, vanilla flavoured pair of fins: no fancy-pancy split-fin technology for me) and my mask fits well enough (i'm happy with the visibility, happy with the seal, it doesn't squeeze etc) but, as pinkbubbles says, I'm only as ugly as my last dive, and my mask leaves a lasting impression on my...errr... beauty.

Take a look at your mask, particularly the bit that rests on your cheeks (ie under your eyes). I've come to the conclusion that they were modelled on either Mick Jagger or David Bowie. Those guys' cheeks go inwards...

I looked over a good range of masks last weekend, and there was nothing that would fit Miss Piggy's round cheeks, nothing that would lay comfortably against Kate Winslet's porcelain curves, and nothing that would cuddle up to Drew Barrymore's chubby face.

Grrrrr!
-bash

There is no such thing as "mens" and "womens" mask and fins. Although, if you have small feet (ie. smaller than woman's size 7), TUSA split fins in size small probably are too big for you. Especially if you have a narrow foot, and thin boot sole. If you want split fins, Scubapro's Twin Jets smalls are good for most small sizes down to size 5. If you foot is smaller than that, you may have to give up split fins (some of the other companys might have them, but I'm not sure). Mares Avanti fins fit tiny feet pretty good.

What don't you like about your fins? Too long? Foot pocket too big?

As for the masks, each different style (name) has a different mold, which fits one bone structure. Some men have tiny faces, and some women have wide faces. So there are plenty of masks for everyone to chose from.

Is you mask leaking? If so, it is a bad fit.

When it comes to BCs, many manufacturers have introducted "Women's" BCs. This gives women another option...but does not mean that the other BCs are "Men's" BCs. Some women (like me) are short waisted and the backpacks on most BCs hit me in the butt and are not comfortable. So, they came up with BC with shorter backpacks and adjusted shoulder straps. But, I know many women that think the "women's" BCs are uncomfortable...for them. Depends on what feels right for you.

Chubby Cheek Leaker
I have my Gramma’s chubby Irish cheeks,
God rest her awesome soul.

Every time I smile, and I smile a lot down there.
My mask leaks a bit.

I think I may just have to deal with it. Small price to pay I suppose.
Maybe, we could simply start a thread for "Masks for chubby cheeks"???

I may be drawn and quartered for saying it, but I'm not sure that there is any compelling need for womens' masks or fins. Both come in a variety of sizes. It does sometimes take a bit more searching for less-than-average size people to find gear that will fit, but small men and children also have similar problems.

I recently went in search of a new mask after my last one broke. I was ready for something with a better seal, anyhow, and I found that there are some good masks out there for narrow faces. I was about to buy a Sporaub Samurai when I happened across a Seadive mask in a clearance bin. It sealed so well that I had to pull it hard to remove it in the store!

I wear small Mares Quattro Pro fins, and they fit securely. I have been eyeing the Scubapro Twinjet fins, but I am not happy with their fit, even though I like the way they feel in the water. If they don't fit, I won't buy them... becuase I know there are things out there that DO fit.

For the record, I'm 5'2", 110 lbs, and small enough to wear an XS women's BC. Maybe I'm just pragmatic about finding something that fits becuase I play hockey, too, and you don't want to know how hard it is to find womens' hockey gear. :(

Julie

I had the same problem with the Oceanic mask, my instructor told me to quit smiling. I really didn't find him funny although he thought it was. I tried out the ScubaPro and loved it, no more leaking, has side view as well as front and most important a purge valve, as I am not going without one. I don't find it necessarily attractive but I am not trying to date the fish. As for fins, I have the Tusa Xpert Zoom and love them, I started out with ScubaPro Jet fins, which were too heavy and I got leg cramps. Also, they are not very attractive, wide black and shorter fins. I felt like a duck in them. As I said I am not really trying to attract anyone so if it feels comfortable I am happy.

My only complaint about masks and fins is:
there are so few styles of masks made for small faces. I need a really small one.

Other than that, and I have to apologize to you, pinkbubbles....

Making it pink doesn't make it for women!!! Why do manufacturers think all women like pink? Sorry pinkbubbles, this may be hard for you to take, but...

I LOATHE Pink!

My equipment works just fine, so far. :goofy: Just me being silly!

I also hate pink! I'm just not a pink person! I tried loads of masks on before I got one to fit my cheeks. I finally ended up with the Sporasub Sniper which fits pretty well. Still get the problem of it leaking when I smile though.

I know what you mean, sometimes you just want to smile at things when you're diving, but as soon as you do - that's it - water floods in!

Fins, I've got the Quattro size Small and they fit pretty well with boots. (I'm a UK size 4, US size 6) And they're definately not pink - everything in black and silver for me!

Originally posted by seaangel
I started out with ScubaPro Jet fins, which were too heavy and I got leg cramps. Also, they are not very attractive, wide black and shorter fins. I felt like a duck in them. As I said I am not really trying to attract anyone so if it feels comfortable I am happy.

If it walks like a duck & quacks liake a duck then it's a duck? Nah, it's a scubakat :). I had a pair of large Jets that I LOVED. They broke down though and now I have the Rockets which are good, and they get the job done. For masks... beg, borrow, (but don't steal!) from your buddies & LDS to try out different masks before you buy. The pool might be adequate, but before I get another one I am going to try it in open water.

-kate

Back
Top Bottom