Question Fins opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know the difference between Supernovas and Seawing Gorillas? I got a pair of the latter and I have gotten use to its stiffness/currents. Supernovas take apart and seems more luggage-friendly but not sure underwater how they compare.
The big difference is the blade angle and the fin stability for alternative kicks, they are a big improvement. The take apart feature makes them great for travel and is proving to be more solid than the original booms of the nova line, they will not come apart in the water unless you forget to put the clips back.

The big difference is the blade angle and the fin stability for alternative kicks, they are a big improvement. The take apart feature makes them great for travel and is proving to be more solid than the original booms of the nova line, they will not come apart in the water unless you forget to put the clips back.
My inclination would be it combines travel efficiency with effectiveness in an upwelling (?). The take apart feature seems dangerous in long term. It keeps cranking and might loosen over time is my thinking. I saw novas in action and thought them floppy. I got my gorillas at a closeout sale brand new with the lifetime warranty and are very fast when I first used them in the ocean.

I hate packing them. My first choice would have been Apex RK3s.

My inclination would be it combines travel efficiency with effectiveness in an upwelling (?). The take apart feature seems dangerous in long term. It keeps cranking and might loosen over time is my thinking. I saw novas in action and thought them floppy. I got my gorillas at a closeout sale brand new with the lifetime warranty and are very fast when I first used them in the ocean.

I hate packing them. My first choice would have been Apex RK3s.
Regular novas are a bit floppy, I’ve been diving the super nova a lot, so far no inclination of looseness in the joint. I pretty confident in their effectiveness and longevity.

Regular novas are a bit floppy, I’ve been diving the super nova a lot, so far no inclination of looseness in the joint. I pretty confident in their effectiveness and longevity.
I concur. Got them as travel fins, but they are my new all-rounder. Well engineered. The "tubes" on the blade fitting into the "sockets" in the foot pocket is where it gets the stability. The snap-in retainers are essentially just cotter pins preventing the two parts from slowly working apart, and doesn't at all contribute to the joint strength. I'm pretty sure the only issue will be at some point breaking one of the retainers, but they give you a tool that makes it easy to remove them, and spare retainers are provided, clipped right into the back of the tool. It is a really good design in my opinion. Only downside I've found with the supernovas is the price.

I concur. Got them as travel fins, but they are my new all-rounder. Well engineered. The "tubes" on the blade fitting into the "sockets" in the foot pocket is where it gets the stability. The snap-in retainers are essentially just cotter pins preventing the two parts from slowly working apart, and doesn't at all contribute to the joint strength. I'm pretty sure the only issue will be at some point breaking one of the retainers, but they give you a tool that makes it easy to remove them, and spare retainers are provided, clipped right into the back of the tool. It is a really good design in my opinion. Only downside I've found with the supernovas is the price.
Got 4 pieces of a luggage saver there until the super supernova. Add it to a jetpack BCD I saw that has a day pack function aka. carry-on. It is not worth having to pay airlines an extra checked bag weighing nothing. On principle that's a no the same as shipping.

If you know a dive shop with lower currency and supplies them, please share 😁 Not bulky here.

Scubapro Go-Sport or Go-Sport Gorilla. These fins are excellent at all kicking styles, handle current just fine and are lightweight for travel. The Gorilla version is slightly stiffer in the upper section of the blade vs the standard Go-Sport. If there is a difference in weight it is negligible, I found about 0.1 pounds difference. The Gorillas are virtually identical to the standard version save for the stiffer monoprene.

If you are a big person or insist on beating into heavy current at every opportunity or carry a dive shop with you on each dive in duplicate, then get the Gorilla version. The Go-Travel is not the same fin and does not perform like the Go-Sport.

Scubapro Go-Sport or Go-Sport Gorilla. These fins are excellent at all kicking styles, handle current just fine and are lightweight for travel. The Gorilla version is slightly stiffer in the upper section of the blade vs the standard Go-Sport. If there is a difference in weight it is negligible, I found about 0.1 pounds difference. The Gorillas are virtually identical to the standard version save for the stiffer monoprene.

If you are a big person or insist on beating into heavy current at every opportunity or carry a dive shop with you on each dive in duplicate, then get the Gorilla version. The Go-Travel is not the same fin and does not perform like the Go-Sport.

You are back!!! Great to see you again my friend.

Back
Top Bottom