Fin/Mask- This girls wonders??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi PINK:

Yes, you are right. It's ridiculous that our equipment doesn't fit right. I'm 5' 5 1/2" and 130 lbs. I just bought Oceanic split fins. I almost couldn't wear them as the foot pocket was too wide and deep, even in small! But they fit better then the Scuba Pro Twin jets. I really wanted the fins (even though they are pricey) and tried them in the shop pool along with some other types for two hours before deciding. The Oceanic split fin was fantastic (much better maneuverability and easy to move with small flutter kick) and I decided to buy even though they wiggled a little laterally even with a bootie on. (get the booties built more like a sneaker, takes up more room) The shop guy suggested I leave the fin inserts in (helps keep the pocket shape during storage) and that worked like a charm. Except I get to hear it from every Dive master on the boat, "Honey, you could swim better if you take the inserts out" To which I reply, "Yeah and then my fins would fall off." I do not have a small foot. I am an average 7.5. So we get ridiculed while the male divers are complemented on their new fins.

Here is another gripe. I have larger biceps then the average woman. My 3ml suit is too tight on my arms. (I tried quite a few and this was the best I could do) Do they have anorexic models doing the fit tests on these? It might have even contributed to my recent right arm DCS symptoms. I ended up having to be recompressed. So not only are we uncomfortable but at greater risk for injury due to poor fitting equipment.

I also had problems with finding a good mask. I have a small head/face size (I wear children's size motorcycle helmets!) I have a Ocean Master self-purging mask that is still too big, but bearable. Yes! I get Mask face too, sometimes for hours after I take the mask off. I have loosened it to the point that it might fall off, but I still get it. Great seal, though.

I love my adjustable snorkel by Ocean Master, adjusts to fit any size and anatomical shape.

I did buy a Diva (?) women's BC but haven't used it much. Hard to tote with on dive vacations when you have to fly.

Good Luck!:bolt:

Not being terribly fashion conscious, I don't care that my split fins are gray (ScubaPro graphite). Here's a tip, though: they take paint pens incredibly well! You can draw fishies and other stuff on them, which not only serves as decoration, but they're also much easier to distinguish from everyone else's fins. We have a LOT of people in our club with the graphite fins, and nobody mistakes mine for theirs.

Actually, my husband has more problem with mask fit than I do; mask skirts don't accommodate moustaches well. (I hope none of us have that problem).

The big problem I have is with finding gloves small enough for my hands. Even XS gloves are often too large. And my hands are not THAT small.

Personally I am a conscientious objector when it comes to pink scuba gear. I go with purple or blue instead.

...Barb

Hi bcfrench,
try Akona gloves. I tried several size xs gloves and none fit, until I got to the Akona brand. Mine are reef gloves, and they have a rubberized coating on the palms and working side of the fingers. They fit great! I'm also hard to fit, but my hands aren't really small across the back. My fingers are just short. The Akonas really are close fitting on me and there's no bunched up fabric on the ends of my fingers. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom