Fin recommendation (light weight)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

illumiGeek

Registered
Reaction score
I have been taking a non-diving friend snorkling quite a lot lately (she's even thinking about getting certified). I've been loaning her a set of old jet type fins I had, and she has been doing pretty well with those. But she is not a strong swimmer and I've been thinking she might do better with something lighter weight & easier to kick.

She prefers to wear booties, so full foot fins are out (I personally use Oceanic Caribe fins and absolutely love them).

I was looking at the Aeris Velocity, or maybe something even smaller and lighter like the Dacor Tracker?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Aloha, iG

Mares Quattros are reasonably light, cheap, and well regarded. Nice options on colours too. They'll also accomodate spring straps without much fuss.

archman:
Mares Quattros are reasonably light, cheap, and well regarded. Nice options on colours too. They'll also accomodate spring straps without much fuss.

Quattros are usually too stiff for a weak swimmer. Something like an Apollo Biofin or Plana Avanti, Aeris Velocity, Volo, etc. might be much better.

Ralph

rcohn:
Quattros are usually too stiff for a weak swimmer. Something like an Apollo Biofin or Plana Avanti, Aeris Velocity, Volo, etc. might be much better.

Ralph

Hi... Well, I'm not a weak swimmer but I vote for the Volos, I have a pair and I love them.. It also has to do with her kick, and if she has strong legs. Because when I do beach dives I wear my jet fins and they're great too...

I'm too embarassed to wear Volos... I've heard the "are YOU from the FUTURE?!" and "check out George Jetson!" comments all too often regarding those things. Why can't Mares make them in a non-silver colour?

Standard Plani Avanti's are cramp-magnets... not very efficient. Great in acceleration though, and certainly a superb starter fin if you don't want to spend much money.

archman:
I'm too embarassed to wear Volos... I've heard the "are YOU from the FUTURE?!" and "check out George Jetson!" comments all too often regarding those things. Why can't Mares make them in a non-silver colour?
They do... I've keep a stock of the blue and black as well...

Ive owned my Zooms for a few months now and have around a dozen dives logged on 'em. One word describes these fins "SWEEEEEET" Very little effort required to propell yourself forward. And no leg cramps. PLUS they come in a wide variety of colors. See pic

Thing w/ stiff fins and normal channel fins is that you need to be in shape.
btw, when using quattros, try and feel a nudge at the end of each kick, that means you extend the channel pocket fully and is using the fins to its full extend.

The Aeris Velocity are a great choice. They are efficient, allow alternate kicks, relatively lightweight, and inexpensive.

You also might want to try a Mares Volo (grey or black) or the newer Mares Volo Power (Yellow, blue, grey). I think these are heavier and more expensive than the Velocity's however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom