Fin swimming at the Olympics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
According to this morning's paper (a local freebie), fin swimming is a proposed medal sport for the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"In fin swimming, swimmers place their arms together in front of their body and propel themselves forward using a mono fin.

"A mono fin is a large single fibreglass or plastic blade attached to both feet. Be it surface or underwater events (where a swimmer has to hold his [sic] breath), fin swimmers wear a snorkel."

Fin swimming has also been approved for the 2003 South-east Asia Games in Vietnam (hence the article in a Singapore paper).

Anyone fancy a medal?

Zept

Wouldn't they have to use a dolphin kick? I mean with a monofin that would seem to be the only way. That makes my back hurt to even think about.

Hey...lets all practise being dolphins!!! Sounds like more of a laugh than an olympic sport to me!!! :D

I've been watching freediving competitions on OLN. The dynamic breath hold competition involves swimming underwater witha mono-fin. Its actually very graceful and quite fast. The real competition isn't over untill the athlete can demonstrate that he/she is in full control. If they have a samba they're disqualified.

Back
Top Bottom