A Fin Review 2.0: Split Fins VS all others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the review.

I started with a pair of AquaLung paddles and after a couple of years switched to Atomic splits ("Smoke On The Water," what a clumsy name, lol) mostly because I wanted to change to spring straps. The AL's buckle system would get clogged with tiny little pebbles whenever I did a shore dive, and I'd have to dig them out after each dive before I could use them again. The spring straps don't have that problem.

For the type of diving I do, which is mostly traveling to faraway places, these fins are great in the water but they're longer, bigger and heavier than I would prefer for packing. I don't do a lot of "specialty kicks" but did notice the splits were a little harder to master than the fins.

As far as speed, I'm not that concerned. I'm one of those divers who's never in a hurry, and often I prefer just to hang out rather than go anywhere at all unless I'm checking out a wreck or dealing with a current. I've hit top speed maybe two or three times and that was only because I wanted to stretch my leg muscles a bit after goofing off for 30 or 40 minutes. The Atomics seemed plenty fast to me, but as I said I'm a bit of a snail. I haven't met a current yet that I needed but couldn't swim against and I've been in some stiff ones, but I suppose that's certainly possible and I'll just have to make sure I avoid that scenario.

I don't really care so much about the type of fin as the type of strap. Spring straps are so easy to slip on and off that I'll never go back to a buckle system again.

Last edited:
Hmm . . . spring straps are available for a wide variety of fins. I have them on Jets, Dive Rites, and Deep See Pulses, had them on my TwinJets, and Peter has them on his Turtles and his Jet knockoffs. Some fins, like the HOG blades and the SeaWing Novas, come with some type of spring/bungie straps. I don't think a desire for springs (something with which I am in total accord!) needs to dictate what kind of fins one uses.

Hmm . . . spring straps are available for a wide variety of fins. I have them on Jets, Dive Rites, and Deep See Pulses, had them on my TwinJets, and Peter has them on his Turtles and his Jet knockoffs. Some fins, like the HOG blades and the SeaWing Novas, come with some type of spring/bungie straps. I don't think a desire for springs (something with which I am in total accord!) needs to dictate what kind of fins one uses.

Yep. Atomic even makes a universal spring that fits almost any standard fins (except, ironically, the Atomic fins).

Universal Atomic Spring Strap discounts on sale Atomic

Complete agreement. It just so happened the Atomic splits were in stock at my LDS when I decided to make the switch. It could have just as easily been a different brand, although in general I'm an Atomic fan, and/or design.

Yep. Atomic even makes a universal spring that fits almost any standard fins (except, ironically, the Atomic fins).

Universal Atomic Spring Strap discounts on sale Atomic

Funny you should say that, the first pair of Atomic spring straps my friend got were the universal straps and they didn't fit at all. I don't know where she got her second pair but they fit now; although I didn't check if they were still the universal straps

Thanks for your review.
I am looking for a pair of fins for surface swim workouts. I currently use my Jets for scissor kick and flutter kick laps.
I'd like to get a pair of full foot splits for a different type of workout.
I want the full foot style for this purpose so I won't have to deal with neoprene booties for laps amd long surface swims.
Thanks for the details on the various fins.
-Mitch

Thanks for your review.
I am looking for a pair of fins for surface swim workouts. I currently use my Jets for scissor kick and flutter kick laps.
I'd like to get a pair of full foot splits for a different type of workout.
I want the full foot style for this purpose so I won't have to deal with neoprene booties for laps amd long surface swims.
Thanks for the details on the various fins.
-Mitch

For underwater jumping jacks? o_O

With your 78 dives, and your one dive, with one model split fin, that, to some makes a great report. Perhaps, after a while you can come back and offer a more informed opinion.

Haha!
No jumping jacks underwater for me. Finning is a great workout, laying on your side and using a scissor type of kick is an effective workout. I'm not sure of the proper name for it.

;-)
Mitch

With your 78 dives, and your one dive, with one model split fin, that, to some makes a great report. Perhaps, after a while you can come back and offer a more informed opinion.

Would you have preferred if I rather said "I've been testing out split fins for a while and have come up with a factual report on their performance"?

It's merely a follow up to the previous review I did. I didn't get as much wet time with splits as I would have liked. But this is all I have to offer.

Back
Top Bottom