FINALLY!!! A VACATION!!! OMG!!! Going for 15 days, staying at Sabor. AAAH!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Finally I got my vacation. I have not been on one for years. I mean a real vacation, not the 3 day weekends or some holiday time. Now booked for Cozumel, early May!

Check this out - 15 days! A FULL TWO WEEKS OF DOING NOTHING BUT HAVING FUN!!!

Check this out - going ALONE! I can choose where I want to go, when, and how. No one to nag! :rofl3:

Just needed to share my happiness.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 04:43 AM ----------

In Vegas you can often give a $20 or more at the checkout as a tip in hope the guy who giving you a room can upgrade it.

Would this be the same at Cozumel or they would not understand the intentions of the bribe?

In Vegas you can often give a $20 or more at the checkout as a tip in hope the guy who giving you a room can upgrade it.

Would this be the same at Cozumel or they would not understand the intentions of the bribe?

If by intentions you mean: You would like a more expensive room, but you don't want to pay the owner what it is worth, and you would like the desk clerk to steal from the owner and risk their job and possible jail, so they can give you something you didn't pay for in exchange for a twenty, then yes they do understand what you want. If that doesn't work for you then you could try the other tried and true method used by many tourists, bitch and complain about the first two rooms they show you in hopes of being upgraded. It helps if you insult them personally as well. Happy travels.

I doubt the tip at checkin would work in Coz -- the hotels are generally much smaller with a drastically different way of running compared to Vegas. The reason that hotels in Vegas do this is so that their occupancy stats look a bit better (same number of rooms used, but a higher percentage of suites, etc) and they hope to spoil you and get you to actually pay next time. The staff actually have a certain number of upgraded rooms they can dish out like this (which is why you should always fly into Vegas early).

I always rent a house in Cozumel, so it's not really been an issue for me. I always steer clear of all inclusives, but I would seriously doubt this would work even at the bigger hotels in coz. Might even backfire.

Well, thought that being in Cozumel in the beginning of May is off-season of sorts, therefore it is possible they might have low occupancy.

I also thought of getting an apartment there but I like to have access to a large semi-private beach at 11pm where I can have a safe free drink. Usually a beach would be empty at that time and I can pretty much watch the stars and listen to the waves break in privacy and being safe.

Finally I got my vacation. I have not been on one for years. I mean a real vacation, not the 3 day weekends or some holiday time. Now booked for Cozumel, early May!

Check this out - 15 days! A FULL TWO WEEKS OF DOING NOTHING BUT HAVING FUN!!!

Check this out - going ALONE! I can choose where I want to go, when, and how. No one to nag! :rofl3:

Just needed to share my happiness.
I'll be there May 4-15. Maybe I'll run into you at a SIT. Look for me; I'm an old fart and my uniform on the dive boat is a tie die Tshirt and a battered white canvas hat.

¡Vamanos a Cuzamil!

You might being able to score an upgrade if you humor the time-share people at the hotel who will be trying to sell you something.

Well, thought that being in Cozumel in the beginning of May is off-season of sorts, therefore it is possible they might have low occupancy.

I also thought of getting an apartment there but I like to have access to a large semi-private beach at 11pm where I can have a safe free drink. Usually a beach would be empty at that time and I can pretty much watch the stars and listen to the waves break in privacy and being safe.

May is not off season - not sure where you got that info from! It's still considered high season.

If you want an upgrade, go the honest route and ask for one at check-in - maybe they will give you a better price - but trying to "tip" the front desk (for $20 is dishonest, insulting, tacky and it just won't work here - and will make you look like an "Ugly Arrogant American." - just sayin!

May is not off season - not sure where you got that info from! It's still considered high season.
There's no absolute on that, I guess. I have seen some hotels quote April 30 as the end of high season.

f you want an upgrade, go the honest route and ask for one at check-in - maybe they will give you a better price - but trying to "tip" the front desk (for $20 is dishonest, insulting, tacky and it just won't work here - and will make you look like an "Ugly Arrogant American." - just sayin!
Yup. In Mexico, it's best to only bribe la policia :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom