Finally did my 100th dive - in Bali!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations! You look like you are having a ball. I am way jealous of your current trip a some of your past travels.

Good Diving,

Dave

Your photos ARE great - i am getting very excited at diving at menjangan this summer ('08). Where did you end up staying there? Did you enjoy it? I was in Bunaken last summer for a week - the best place ever - no divers, great DM, great fish and walls. Granted, i might not be the best judge, since i have not even logged in even 1/4 the number of dives you have, but seriously, Bunaken is not to be missed!

Kosmo,

We stayed at the Mimpi Menjangan resort. It was incredible! VERY quiet - it was rather off-season, and tourism is still depressed in Bali anyway...plus it's in a pretty remote area, so I don't think that resort is EVER crowded. It's really huge, too -- I don't know how they stay in business with so little traffic, but they must be doing okay because they did a great job for us! Most of the people staying there were divers, or family members of divers. The resort is truly spectacularly beautiful.

The dive op was fantastic. The DM's were some of the best I've worked with. They take you out on very small, kinda rickety wooden boats - I learned that it's because the resort has a deal with the locals that they have to use the locals' boats and drivers. Because the boat is so small and slow it takes about an hour to get out to the island, but there are a number of GREAT dive sites all around the island. I was there for close to a week, and I think I did four days of diving so we pretty much hit 'em all. And with only about six people tops on the boat, you never have to deal with a big group.

We saw a few other dive boats out there, but barely any - we were always the only divers at whatever spot we were at. It was all so pristine! Seriously, this was some of the best diving I've ever done.

I should warn you that the food at the Mimpi leaves a bit to be desired. Do NOT do their meal plan - they try to get you to order off a limited menu. We refused, and ordered off the main menu and they didn't charge us any extra, but I don't know if they would always allow that. And it's not like there are any other options for dining in the area - this is not a touristed area, so there's little else in the vicinity. I heard a few folks tried some local restaurants with varying degrees of success (they are truly restaurants for the locals), but we didn't have a car so we just stayed at the resort. It's so huge there, and the grounds and pools are beautiful! Plus they have those fantastic natural hot springs. We got one of the rooms that included our own private hot-spring-fed spa, which was fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom