Finally housed my 8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I picked up an 8080 last fall, waited for the housings to come out, then had other things to spend my few spare $$ on. My wife felt guilty after buying a smaller and newer Dell laptop, to compliment the smaller and newer laptop she bought last year (which now becomes her "desktop" computer) , and picked up an Ikelite housing for me last week.

I figured I'd be breaking down and getting into a flash by January, but I've been playing with the manual white balance briefly (just a few shots each dive, I'm guiding just one customer right now and he doesn't mind the camera along as long as he gets copies if anything turns out) the last 2 dives and I'm really happy with the results. I've got a couple days off to play with the camera coming up - I'd more or less set the camera aside back at the first of the year so I have to learn it's capabilities. I very well may be able to live with just the manual white balance 'til spring.

Anyway, the camera kicks tail on my old D-40. Much faster focus and shutter lag. I'm surprised that the extra zoom even comes in handy.

whitetip.jpg

Nice!

Housing mine next week. Can't wait to see how it goes. Some say they like it, others say its uses as udders on a bull. I am hoping to fall into the first catagory considered what I paid for it.

Terry

I kinda like mine. I'm using pt-023 but the thing about 8080 is that in manual mode it's real pain in the arse to change values. You need to press one button and then turn the wheel. Wheel thingie in pt-023 doesn't work that well. Actually it works only every now and then more or less :) One has to pay alot of attention to get the camera in just rite position inside that housing. I've ended up shooting in p-mode with manual white balance. But now I'd love to try manual mode aswell. I just need to figure out how to get the cam inside pt-023 tight enough for the wheel to work.

kapula:
I kinda like mine. I'm using pt-023 but the thing about 8080 is that in manual mode it's real pain in the arse to change values. You need to press one button and then turn the wheel.
This is true for the C5050 / C5060 but Olympus put in a nice feature to over come this in the C8080. In Manual mode you can program the dial and up and down arrows to change the shutter speed and left and right arrows to change the aperture value. See page 150 and 151 of the PDF reference manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom