Finding a mask to seal on my bearded face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Dykes

Registered
Reaction score
During my intro diving class, I noticed that the mask I was using leaked inside a bit. The instructor gave me some kind of chapstick-looking stuff to put on my beard - I guess to make it lay down. But it didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions before I go out looking for a mask to buy?

I have issues with my mustache and mask leaking. I trim my mustache to prevent mask leaking. No other solution has worked for me.

1668201705677.png
is the best option I have found

Full beard here... keep your cheeks clear of the random hairs and you should be fine. I make sure to push the nose of my mask down towards my lip when I seat my mask. This helps to keep from grabbing mustache hairs and having them act as a conduit for water ingress. Beyond that just get used to clearing your mask more often. It becomes second nature and I only bother once the salt water sloshes into my eye.

If I don't shave under my nose a little and keep the cheeks as smooth as a ..... I will have annoying leaks. Often I might rinse and clear the mask after descent and I don't think I normally have to clear it again during the dive.

Just get use to every few min breathing out your nose.Or start diving a FFM And or use a liberal amount of “vaseline?” If that is how its spelled🤣

During my intro diving class, I noticed that the mask I was using leaked inside a bit. The instructor gave me some kind of chapstick-looking stuff to put on my beard - I guess to make it lay down. But it didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions before I go out looking for a mask to buy?
I use Atomic Venom Frameless with full beard. The Gummi Bear silicone really does seem to help with facial hair. Venom Frameless Scuba Mask | Atomic Aquatics

Back
Top Bottom