Finding BC that fits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle:
Good thread....

I think the point is, do you really NEED a BP/W if you are quite happy being a recreational, traveling, single tank diver?

I am not debating the fact that you can use a BP/W for those things - just that there are other options that will work as well, if not better.

I know that is blashemy to the Gods of BP/W, and I may get sent to BP/W purgatory, but I'll take my chances...:wink:

Scott

The question is a perfectly legitamate one. And to be honest, your company has mitigated MUCH of the benefit of the BP/W for recreational divers by being at the forefront of back inflation, integrated wing technology, modular BC's etc. In fact, that is why I spent my hard earned $450+ dollars on a Zeagle BC back in 1995. It was the best product I saw on the shelves.

That said, the BP/W has some inherent advangaes simply not available in common jacket BCs including it's ability to squash down to NOTHNG for packing, its ability adjust for ANY sized diver without having to buy or swap parts, its ability to move easily from recreational use to highly technical use, etc.

So do you NEED a BP/W?? No. No more than you NEED steel tanks, or HID lights, or a dive computer. Personally, I'd love to see a company the size of Zeagle make a TRUE BP/W setup. I think others would too. As it would bring a legitimacy and familiarity to some recreational divers with a name they trust. You're in spring/cave country you could make it fly.

First issue... the Transpac is NOT a backplate and wing. So this is an apples and oranges comparison. You can get a factory new Halcyon Pioneer 27 for $485, and this is generally known as the most expensive brand of BP/W.

Fair enough. Again, from the DiveRiteExpress website the complete Transplate system - http://www.diveriteexpress.com/dive_rite/packages/st1065-2.shtml - sells for $599.

That doesn't include an STA which will improve stability to the point of being equal to a regular bc. It also doesn't include any storage pockets. And you said Halcyon is even more expensive?!? So where's the savings?

As for your weight pocket issue.. Tech divers use trim wieghts and a weight belt for a good combination of ditchable and non ditchable weight.

That can be done with a standard bc and a $7 weight belt. So again, where's the advantage?

So the cost of the most expensive BP/W combo is about $40. Something tells me that the Diverite setup, the Oxycheq setup, and the other setups are less than the Zeagle. And there is your answer.

There's my answer to what, that SOMETHING is telling you they cost less? I don't care about SOMETHING, I'm quoting prices right off of the DiveRiteExpress website that YOU referenced to. All I see so far is higher prices, not lower.

Should we begin to discuss what happens when you decide to mount doubles? Or use stage or deco bottles? Of you decide to get cave or wreck certified? The real cost savings of a BP/W is not at initial purchase. There the costs are competitive with the better BCs. The difference come in when it's time to upgrade from a recreational BC to one that will actually work well for more technical diving. Or one that will fit 10 years from now. BP/W stays with you.. no cost. How much is that second Zeagle gonna cost?

That all sounds well and good, too bad it means absolutely nothing. I'll bet money that if you took the time to ask the person that originally posted the question you'd find that they have no interest in any of that. All that they're interested in is finding a bc that will fit them comfortably so they can go look at the fish.

[rant]

It's really getting annoying with the BP&W people butting into just about every single freaking bc thread. It's ok to interject something like "hey, you might want to look at a BP&W setup. I think it might fit what your looking for because of abc or xyz, or whatever. (LIke your first post.) BUT THEN DROP IT. YOU'VE SAID YOUR PEACE AND MADE THE PERSON AWARE OF THE OPTION. IF IT INTERESTS THEM THEY WILL ASK QUESTIONS. IF NOT, THEY WON'T AND IT SHOULD BE LEFT AT THAT.

[/rant]

Have you tried a Zena? It will probably fit you now and fit you later, (after the weight loss), as well with all of the adjustments.

Dragon2115:
[rant]
It's really getting annoying with the BP&W people butting into just about every single freaking bc thread. It's ok to interject something like "hey, you might want to look at a BP&W setup. I think it might fit what your looking for because of abc or xyz, or whatever. (LIke your first post.) BUT THEN DROP IT. YOU'VE SAID YOUR PEACE AND MADE THE PERSON AWARE OF THE OPTION. IF IT INTERESTS THEM THEY WILL ASK QUESTIONS. IF NOT, THEY WON'T AND IT SHOULD BE LEFT AT THAT.
[/rant]

You know what, you're right. You'll NEVER hear me say another word about a BP/W config on this site unless I am DIR or Hogarth.

Sorry to trouble you. Have a nice day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom