Finding Nemo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washow88

Reaction score
Did anyone see Finding Nemo? Well, I went with my family over the weekend. For those who did not see it, I will not give it away.
The movie gave scuba divers a bad image and a bad reputation. My 11-year-old son who does not want to learn scuba is convinced that divers destroy the aquatic life. He also does not want to be a part of it.
I explained to him that divers are the ones who are taking care of the aquatic life, and I promised to show him PADI Project AWARE as an opposite example of what the movie showed.
Any other ideas?

...tell him that only the Australian divers are naughty? :eek:ut:

Would he understand the connection between conservation and eco-tourism? Might be a good topic to discuss.

I'm sure he has seen someone somewhere in some cartoon use a getaway car. Does that mean that all motorists are bad? What about ambulance drivers? Just because someone may use scuba for a "bad" purpose doesn't make everyone who uses it a bad guy.

In any case, don't force him into anything...that usually backfires.

Signed,

Still afraid of spiders

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Actually I think the movie made little kids with braces look bad. :eek:ut:

But just remember what the diver said... He saw Nemo swimming out in open water and so he rescued him. The diver wasn't necessarily doing a bad thing. He just didn't realize what was really going on.

Although... those two divers were on a coral reef, and their consoles were not clipped off in any way. So maybe they were damaging the reef... :eek:ut:

Doof once bubbled...
Although... those two divers were on a coral reef, and their consoles were not clipped off in any way. So maybe they were damaging the reef... :eek:ut:
Tell you son about DIR diving, and how GUE promotes education, research and exploration. Also that the two divers in the movie weren't an example of the type of diving GUE promotes.

:eek:ut:

Someone had to make this a DIR thread!

Hi there

well, i havent seen the movie but i played it on PlayeStation 2, am telling you man, i had a good time, howvere i dout your son would see it that way...

i would strongely recomend you to show him Free Willy movie, you know where those scuba divers rescue the whales and dolphines...

see ya:mean:

haven't seen the movie but i did hear about the plot :( .

my kids saw it last friday but the effect is a bit different than what your son experienced. maybe it's because they're familiar with scuba diving (they occasionally snorkel above me while i dive, understood about looking and not taking) not to mention having heard me repeatedly explained why i can't bring back the moral eel in the photos.

you might want to checkout a movie that might change the perception a bit - The Living Sea (IMAX, out on video as well, by McGilliray et al). there's a bit in there about tending the reef like a garden. and a Dad diving with his 2 kids :wink: .

good idea on the project aware stuff. another one might be Monterey Beach Dive video - heck of a lot of divers in there, including a bit on beach clean-up.

Has anyone heard the news story that NBC carried here in the States? Sales of clown fish for home aquariums have apparently increased significantly since the movie came out. Obviously some folks just didn't get the message.

I've contacted J-M Cousteau and a scientific advisor who worked in the film to see if they can make a statement about this sad consequence.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Has anyone heard the news story that NBC carried here in the States? Sales of clown fish for home aquariums have apparently increased significantly since the movie came out. Obviously some folks just didn't get the message.

I've contacted J-M Cousteau and a scientific advisor who worked in the film to see if they can make a statement about this sad consequence.

Dr. Bill
That is exactly the opposite of what should happen after seeing the movie...what a weird society we live in..

How anyone viewing that movie can go out and buy a clown fish is totally beyond me... until I think of the students in my classes who let the entire lesson fly over their head.

The only explanation is that the masses are truly into self-gratification without concern about the consequences.

Many of our local divers in the Catalina Conservancy Divers (CCD, www.ccd.org) worked hard to get a ban on the vacuuming up of blue-banded gobies here by those in the aquarium trade. I keep my "pets" where they belong- in the ocean.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom