Finding Nemo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw "Finding Nemo" this weekend. Previous to the movie I heard of a local fish hatchery who raises clownfish that the demand has risen dramatically.

I used to have a salt water aquarium but quit when I became aware of the mortality rate of the fish being captured, let alone how they are caught. I chose not to give my money to that trade, instead catching fish on film...

As for all you who saw the movie, I am surprised that nobody noticed what kind of aquarium the fish were in--freshwater! Imagine all those people buying aquariums thinking that their "little Nemo" will survive in a tank with blue stones and fake statues!

I'm a guide at the Denver Aquarium. I saw the movie yesterday, but previous to that we (the guides) got an entire class on the Nemo characters so when the kids came up to us and asked where Nemo was we could point him out :)

My how society has changed. When Bambi came out folks were falling over themselves to ban hunting. Now with Nemo thay can't wait to do to a clown what the Dentist did.

What happened between then and now?

Roak

Ps. So what kind of shark was the third shark? Bruce had to be a GW due to the reference to the mechanical shark in Jaws, then there was a hammerhead, but my best guess for the third was a Mako. Not fat enough for a Sand Tiger, though the teeth looked right.

PPs. Disney has found a wonderful balance for their movies -- the obvious stuff is kiddie stuff, but there's a ton of references for the parents to enjoy, all the way from AA sharks to the "Psycho" screeching music when the little girl comes in the office!

Funny, I am PADI certified, work at a Fish store selling "nemo's" and hunt, underwater and out of water. Realizing that my hunting actually funnels more money back to wildlife conservation that most of the "animal-rights activists" that claim to not want to hurt animals then drive their Eddie Baurer edition SUV to the beach wearing leather shoes eating an In-and-Out Burger. So as a response to the topic at hand, I get asked about nemo about 15 times a day. An important note will be that the details of the movie are quite bad and should not be taken as information about the aquarium trade, dentists or brats with braces. "Nemo" was describes as a two bar clown by its scientific name on the trailer website, body movements modeled after a maroon clown and coloring after an occelaris clown. As for talking about the high mortality rate of saltwater fish captured for the aquarium trade, and the methods, some of you are misinformed out there. There are now new standards in effect that protect the environment more, decrease mortality rate and support the sustainability of the catch. The misinformed people are probably talking about the use of cyanide, that was used in the 60's. Now SW fish are captured just as you see in the Movie, with nets and without chemicals. The aquarium industry has developed standards, MAC core standards. It is to the aquarium industries fullest advantage to maintain sustainablity, reduce reef damage in order to reduce loss of inventory and be more profitable. While this may seem like the wrong motive, dual motives or consequences don't affect the positive outcome, whatever the primary motive may be. Wbsites that all of you aquarium haters that think collecting is the ultimate end need to check these links and educate yourselves. I will tell you, some collectors still use archaic methods of destructive collection, this I cannot deny, but due to the high mortality rates are not well liked in the aquarium industry. Whom better to want to save reefs and the environment than those who use it, namely hunters, fisherman and people who use resources from the ocean. If divers, aquarists do not use sustainable methods, it won't be here for us in the future, we aren't stupid. For those that may wish to learn more about things they are judgemental about, and for those with open minds check out these websites outlining the saltwater aquarium trade. You may be suprised at what you can learn.

www.garf.org
www.aquariumcouncil.org
www.orafarm.com
www.seacrop.com (good site about collecting from reefs)

I hope this might shed some light on the current state of the industry and explain how the saltwater trade has changed since the 1960's. Thanks to all who listened, I will step off of my soapbox now.

It was a great movie and a riot to watch. Not particularly an Elle D. fan but she was fantastic in that role.

I have often thought about what it would be like for some "pioneers" in some field...in this case animated movies....to come from the past and visit to see what their craft has become. The animators or the original Steam Boat Willie at Disney world would probably just be flabbergasted.

Great movie...lots of fun...amazing animation....the ticket and the popcorn and coke cost a freaking fortune!!! No wonder kids are into drugs and sex....its cheaper than movies.!!

RICHinNC once bubbled...
It was a great movie and a riot to watch.

....the ticket and the popcorn and coke cost a freaking fortune!!! No wonder kids are into drugs and sex....its cheaper than movies.!!

It's cheaper to buy a DVD than to go to a movie with two people. 811 DVD's and counting!

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

It's cheaper to buy a DVD than to go to a movie with two people. 811 DVD's and counting!
I know lots of people going this route...

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Cheaper to buy then rent too... espcially if you get pre-viewed DVD's.

Appreciate your information on the aquarium trade business. A good scientist should always be open to new information with which to re-evaluate one's hypotheses or opinions.

Certainly there has been progress in that arena althoiugh I wonder how much was industry driven and how much by environmentalist opposition.

I know in Catalina waters we had problems in the past with aquarium trade collectors vacuuming up blue-banded gobies (and by-catch) which was stopped, at least temporarily, by the CCD and others.

Personally I don't keep pets of any kind (well, if you don't count the spiders, ants and termites in my house). I am fortunate because I have a very large "aquarium" almost at my door here on Catalina. I can see all the fishies I want (even in winter) assuming there is decent vis (unlike the past few weeks).

Dr. Bill

you must really love the annual Darwin awards... aren't they amazing?

Dr. Bill

most clown fish sold in pet shops are bred in captivity.

simply not true. i say this, as a captive breeder of marine fish, with a sad heart. all species are available captive bred, but they are signifigantly higher than their wild-caught brethern. thus fish stores do not stock them cause consumers opt for the lesser priced individuals.

AFAIK, they and the sea horses are the only salt water fish easy to breed in tanks.

many fish are much easier to breed than clownfish or sea horses. banggai cardianls, and numerous species of gobies come to mind immeidately.

The misinformed people are probably talking about the use of cyanide, that was used in the 60's.

unfortunately, it is still in wide use today. anyone who believes the use of cyanide has been eleminated hasn't been paying attention.

Now SW fish are captured just as you see in the Movie, with nets and without chemicals.

we hope.

The aquarium industry has developed standards, MAC core standards.

if they push the political diatribe aside, they may have a chance. thus far they haven't succeeded. less than 5% of th emarine aquarium fish coming into th eunitied states have been collected by MAC certified standards. we would all love to increase this number, but there is no reason to misrepresent ourselves. certain philippino holding facilites still to this day refuse to pay for fish that were not collected with cyanide purchased from them.

Certainly there has been progress in that arena althoiugh I wonder how much was industry driven and how much by environmentalist opposition.

so far no opposition has been met head-on, and we hope to keep it that way. nemo has not helped. the last couple years have brought on a sense of urgancy for self-regulation before the tree-huggers take notice. so far the hobby has made wonderful strides within the on-line community towards this goal, albeit they are still far from and formal governing body.

henry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom