finding stuff to see on dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can slow down and still not see anything.

Going slow might be necessary to free up some attention and allow yourself more time to absorb what you're seeing but if you're diving completely randomly then what you will see is a completely random collections of things. That can be fun and entertaining, but I think the op was looking for a less random approach.

What I often do with my regular buddy is decide ahead of time what we want to look for. For example, we might go diving in the local lake and decide to look for baby pike hiding in the weeds. That not only gives us focus on where to go (navigation plan) but what to look for (activity plan) and gives us some coordination.... two people doing the same thing together.

An example of how well this can work is how it panned out for us in Egypt. I initially found Egypt daunting because there is so much more to see than where I normally dive. So we decided to focus our attention on smaller goals.... on dive 1 we decided to go look for octopus... and found them. Next night we decided to look for cuttlefish... and found them.... the night after that we decided to look for spanish dancers.... and found them (ok.. .one).... on another dive we decided to look for squid in the shallows... and found them..... on another dive we looked for whitetips laying under table corals and found them... or go look for clown fish... etc etc.

The point of this being that where you can find cuttlefish is NOT where you can find squid and it's not where you can find octopus or sharks or clownfish or whatever else... Everything has it's own little niche. Working like this you have to learn (by trying) a little bit about the habitat of whatever it is you're looking for and by focusing your effort like this, you have a much better chance of actually finding what you want to find.... and it leaves other goals open for other dives, which keeps your diving fresh and interesting.... Futhermore you can get better and better at it over time. At this point if we know what we're looking for, especially resident species, then it's a rare day that we don't actually see it.

Anyway, this works for me and after 27 years I'm still finding new goals and making new discoveries.

R..

Very good point.....When Sandra is looking for Nudibranchs, she is actually looking for Hydroids. When she finds a big clump, she settles down and stays still for sometimes 10 minutes, untill her brain begins to see life inside the Hydroid Forest --a change in the scale of things your brain actually processes. This is why she does not find that much the first 20 minutes of most dives..but from then on, she begins to see nudibranchs continuously...she begins to see through their camoulflage --like this one previously undocumented in the US she found a week or so ago..
_MG_6294.jpg

Firstly, as Quero mentions; you need to know what there is to see. Do a bunch of research, look at photos, look at videos, go to aquariums. Ingrain the distinctive patterns, shapes and colors into your brain... your subconscious. These are the indicators that your brain will process and recognize. This can take time.

Secondly, as many have mentioned; dive slow... very slow. Dive with your eyes, not your fins.

Thirdly, look wide, not focused. Scan the reef as you move slowly. Soak it all in. Don't look 'for' anything, just look. Be methodical in visually sweeping your surrounding area. Allow patterns, colors, shapes and movement to draw your eye. Then focus. Identify or dismiss. Move on.

I've always noticed that having found a critter once, for real, then I could spot that type easier on subsequent dives.

I have to admit that I scanned over the other posts, and saw a lot of great advice, but didn't read thoroughly.

Slowing down and getting your buoyancy dialed in is great advice, however I would add (if not already covered) that getting into a horizontal trim position can get your eyes closer to the reef. Diving in vertical position requires your eyes to be at least a few feet off the bottom.

I just want to thank the OP for starting this thread -- it's FULL of great ideas that will make diving better for everybody!

Slow down mentally too...I found once i decided diving wasnt a competitive sport it all came together for me. Sometimes I just find a ledge somewhere and sit and watch the ocean going about the business of being the ocean...and realise that not every dive will be spectacular nor will you find something new every dive..enjoy :)

Besides all the above Listen, dolphins make a distinctive noise, 2 passed at high speed just behind my buddy and I.He saw them I did not!

I saw a decent size seahorse once on my own. The dive master told me he had only seen 5 in ten years of diving in the area. The viz was really crappy that day, and said that was the best time to see seahorses because you aren't busy looking ahead for the next thing.

In addition to the "big three" ideas previously presented...slow down, prepare in advance through research, and hone your skills, I'll add just two more:

Take a night dive. No, not so you will see different species or animal behaviors (though that's a good enough reason), but to force yourself to see differently. On a night dive, one is generally limited to seeing clearly only what is in their very limited cone of light. Moving the light quickly usually just gives a diver a headache, so slow deliberate movements will sharpen your focus and your skills of observation. While carrying a light in daylight might serve the same purpose, most of us will be distracted by objects in our peripheral vision enough to thwart the "training" aspect of the exercise. Once one has made some of these nocturnal dives, the skills transfer easily to dives in broad daylight.
Second, to get really good at learning to see more, dive with someone who sees more. Pick a "mentor" that has a history of finding (and possibly photographing or capturing video of) interesting animals and features you find interesting. Watch what they do, how they do it, and learn from them. Discuss techniques and strategies, but above all, observe your mentor at least as closely as the objects you find. That type of experience, coupled with the knowlege of someone who knows, is possibly the best teacher of all.

Have a great dive! Great thread!

Ask the DM which very specific niche environments these very particular critters live in.

If there is a language barrier, try my methods ... When he points out a critter, look at the specific corals/stuff that they inhabit, the depth, the time of day, etc. DMs rarely find a specific critter, the scan the likely zones.

Occasionally, someone at a dive op will locate something thought to be elusive, say a Pipefish or Seahorse. They pass the word to the other DMs, so then your DM knows where generally to look. Certain things don't move around much or very often. How did he find that? Now you know.

How to get started? Hover in the water column next to a Whip Coral. Two divers, one each side works best. Look for the 1/2" shrimp that blends in. This location keeps you off of delicate structure and is almost a guaranteed winner. Now? Bring a glass lensed magnifier and always have a flashlight. Always. Critters hide in shadows that your eyes can not discern in daylight contrast.

Another very easy predictable one? Ask to see an Arrow Blenny. Curious fish that it is. Now see that very specific plate coral that it's hovering over? No mistake.... That is exactly how he located it.

QuitPlunk yourself on a sand bottom next to a coral head. Don't move, drain the tank. See it all.

I am suspected of having serious mental issues... You decide, click on the "micro" photo link in my sig line below :wink:

wow..... so many great tips and ideas!! thank you so much for all the advice guys, can't wait to go for a dive tomorrow and take a new approach on things :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom