Finished my DM!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, honestly, with very few exceptions, I didn't have to separate my DIR training from the DM requirements. And the exceptions had more to do with the policies of the shop Peter taught for, when I started, than they did with any rules for the DM class. The one place where I did have to change was accepting that helping with students CAN require a willingness to be something other than horizontal, and sometimes even dropping fin tips in the silt (it doesn't work very well to try to adjust somebody's equipment underwater, if you are neutral and floating . . . )

At this point, I don't have any intention of going on to instructor status. I'm happy enough helping Peter (and hopefully some other friends as well) with their classes, and continuing to mentor new divers when I can.

Congrats!! Lynn, Good job, i know of know one whom has worked harder than yourself, keith

At this point, I don't have any intention of going on to instructor status. ...

Famous last words !!!

I can remember, somewhere in that dusty collection of memories, saying just that same thing...

But again you caught the significance of the DM course - to begin to develop your skills at working with students, not to enhance your diving skills. Too many come in thinking that the DM program will fill a gap, only to be badly surprised.

Congrats on your DM. From the advice and input I've seen you provide in SB postings, I expect many students will benefit from this step.

Famous last words !!!

I can remember, somewhere in that dusty collection of memories, saying just that same thing...

I remember saying the same thing about cave diving,... Now, I've almost completed my full cave.:D

Famous last words !!!

Me too. In fact, I was very emphatic about it. Eventually, every good DM gets tired of fixing the instructor's mistakes and feels that it would be better if they could make their own. :eyebrow:

R..

Congratulations, Lynne! Well done. What else have you got on your list of continueing-scuba-education?

<snip>working with students will, eventually, give me eyes in the back of my head
And, believe it or not, you will also grow antennae! Seriously, though, eventually we seem to subconsciously learn to listen for breathing, noting the rhythm, pace, and proximity of our divers' exhaust even when we're not looking with the eyes we have on our faces.

<snip>working with students, one has to embrace a certain level of chaos.
Nicely put.

Way to go Lynne!!!!!!!!!

:cool3::banana::balloons:

Did you have to do a swim test, and if so, how was it?

(BTW, I HATED my IANTD DM swim test, which had one part wearing doubles.)

Congratulations. Having read many of your posts, I'm sure you'll be great. We both got certified in '05, and it's mind boggling that you have amassed 900 dives. I've got 174 and I try to dive as often as possible (of course diving wet in winter here in 35F water is somewhat limiting!). I have a little more pool work on the 20 skills and one charter and I'll join you, hopefully next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom