Finishing OW Cert in Bonaire...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did exactly this with our kids (15, 13, 13) in 2016. Could not have gone better. We did a DSD in the pool locally, just to make sure they still wanted to do it, and did not have any issues with it. They did E-learning followed by pool and dives in Bonaire. Gave the wife and me a few days to get reaquainted with the island and do a couple deeper dives including the Hooker while they did class.

Took two 14 year olds this year.
They wrapped up their certification with buddy dive and had an excellent experience.

We visited the island with GypsyJim this year.

Curacao is not great from Atlanta - would not have suggested it if you'd specified.

Concierge level service on Bonaire is Harbour Village resort - mostly beachfront villas and one of the only beaches on Bonaire. They also have their own dive opreration and one boat. Not the best shore dive but there is a shallow small wreck there. Bari Reef is 5mins up the beach. Also the priciest property there.

Most of the other properties are pretty old - some refurbished, some not. IDK if it will matter to your friends,

On Roatan suggest Barefoot Cay - it's also upscale villas on a private cay with a dive shop. Also a spa and good restaurant. Decent beach as they treat it for sand flies.

Guess I'll add to what appears to be the consensus...

Our kids (12 and 14) did their online work at home, with pool and open water dives last year at Buddy Dive. It was great because my wife and I were able to dive on our own during the day early in the week while the kids were in class, then we dived as a family the last few days once they were finished. If your friends have been out of the water for awhile, see if they can at least get some pool time at home to get the basic skills back. They can hire a divemaster once in Bonaire for half a day or a day to help them out and give them an honest assessment. While Bonaire is indeed the home of shore diving freedom, the house reefs are typically just as good as most of the island if they don't feel comfortable venturing too far.

Interesting thread. My wife and I are trying to figure out where to get our current 10 year old certified in a couple years. Bonaire is high on the list. I think the diving is perfect: no current, easy entry at house reefs and no group dive pressure to do something the youngster might not be ready for. You can also progress to some easy boat diving so they get that experience. I watched the instructors at Buddy and thought they were excellent.

I have two concerns though:
-The super tiny pool at places like Buddy. If I recall they are like 3-4 feet deep and too small to swim.
-I wonder if they do the pool dives off the dock in the 10 feet. The "ocean" around the dock at Buddy is more like a 10 foot pool with a sandy bottom than it is typical ocean shore.
-If you do some shore diving, sometimes I found the current coming back to shore a bit strong in the shallows near shore when the wind had picked up.

My oldest daughter did her training at Cozumel at 13. She did elearning at home and then pool and open water at Cozumel. That also went fine. She was well trained and had fun. As a bonus she learned boat and drifting diving right from the start.

Do the pool and classroom work at home.

Nice thing about shore diving is there’s no one else to keep up with, no special time to start or stop or duration to stay in, and so more freedom with less distraction. I would thing working with a kid those could be serious advantages.

Nice thing about shore diving is there’s no one else to keep up with, no special time to start or stop or duration to stay in, and so more freedom with less distraction. I would thing working with a kid those could be serious advantages.

I get that, but I would feel uncomfortable about having new divers in the water and not having dived in 8-10 years myself. I don't know how they would feel, but I would be nervous as a parent and not having more training than what they have. I like the idea of having a DM for the trip in this situation.

I think I see what you mean; once the kids are certified, their first several dives, when they're not in a class. Giving you 3 likely scenarios:

1.) Shore diving with one or both parents; no professional supervision.
2.) Boat diving with a guide-led group. Some guides just lead the way, they don't monitor the customers much. Some watch customer, cue customers to signal remaining air, etc... Consider your destination and the individual shop.
3.) Hire a private professional (a.k.a. 'D.M.').

You can probably hire a private guide at many destinations, to insure you get your kid monitored as you wish. Bonaire's shore diving advantages would still hold true. You don't want to pile onto a dive boat and find out everybody else wants to dive the Hilma Hooker (deep) that trip.

Richard.

Bonaire is great easy diving. Do not have experience with instruction there, but as someone else said, Key Largo and specifically rainbow reef is where I'd do my training if I had to do it all over again. VERY strong instructors there. My son just did his AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom