Fins for currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the force fins? I have heard they are good, although pricey! Have been looking at scuba pro jets, Volos, slingshot. Force fins get nothing but good reviews, just trying to pluck courage to pay £170 for them plus star strap!
The Force Fin Excellerators are pretty amazing, as are the Hockey fins( poor name for what they do--better would be Splits Killers or similar :)
I think the Excellerators are the best high speed and technical/precise fin Force makes. They are expensive, but scooters cost a lot more, and these would most likely get many divers able to do things that otherwise would only be possible for them with a scooter....and of course, these travel nicely, unlike scooters :)

If your looking for a paddle fin... Try the HOG's, great fin, outstanding price. I've dove with people using both the ScubaPro and Turrles, and have even switched mid dive and can't tell the difference.

still umming and ahhhing about the force fins. can really only afford the force fin pro (rest are too expensive). i am going to a large dive shop in manchester this weekend to have a look. will try and look at the quattro's, seawings, force fins, but also people have recommended the cressi frog master fins - look like, and possibly are free diving fins - maybe these will be light and effective for stronger currents. to be honest my tusa xpert split fins have sufficed for most dives but just arent enough for stronger currents.

still umming and ahhhing about the force fins. can really only afford the force fin pro (rest are too expensive). i am going to a large dive shop in manchester this weekend to have a look. will try and look at the quattro's, seawings, force fins, but also people have recommended the cressi frog master fins - look like, and possibly are free diving fins - maybe these will be light and effective for stronger currents. to be honest my tusa xpert split fins have sufficed for most dives but just arent enough for stronger currents.
Just keep in mind that Force fins are very different with each model...each is perfect for someone. For me, while the Excellerator is a good fin, the Original Force Fin model is horrible for me...it is much "too small a gear", so to speak.
You really should DEMO the fins you want....You should..every diver should, DEMAND to demo a high end fin prior to buying it...Some stores may just have a shop employee or a friend with the fin you want to demo....A really cool shop, will have a few models for demo purposes...but there are very few shops like this---mostly because most divers are apathetic and gullible. Snow Skiers would not stand for it :)

In my opinion the ScubaPro Jet fins are the all around best fin out there. Stiff, short, wide and negative. Plus you'll hand them down to your grandchildren someday!
Again...it is STUPID to buy something as performance based and individualized as fins, without trying the fins first..I am not saying this of your opinion.....Of course jet fins are a fin I like--as you do...,but I would never tell someone to buy without trying several types of fins first. We need to get pissed about the way the industry handles this...Sheep are fine with just being told what to get.....Hopefully lots of divers here are not sheep.

Last edited:
Just one observation when it comes to fins.
Many of us base how our fins perform in certain conditions by how other divers seem to be working on the same dive as we do and conclude from there.
This is however probably the LEAST effective measure there is of how your fins compare to some other type of fin and that is especially true when it come to currents, as how you dive has more to do with the impact of the current than anything else.
Theres a reason why I can just hover in place doing my safetystop with no effort, while people next to me have to fin like crazy not to get swept away by the current and its not the fins. Its about where you position yourself.

The only way youll know how a fin perform in different conditions is by trying it on yourself. A fin that is perfect for me, might be crap for you depending on anything from body weight to muscle mass and your individual "style of diving"..

My diving has been mainly in moderate to stronger currents. I wanted a fins that would both suit low to no current as well as stronger type currents.
Initially I got IST Rocket fins. They have excellent characteristics in currents. Great power and short so changing direction is very quick.
After doing some dives in the Cebu area of the Philippines where the currents are mild, I wished I had a pair of Scubapro Twin Jets like a buddy. But, before I could grab a pair, I saw Leisurepro was offering the Hollis F1 Bat fins(funny name but serious fins) for only $99 at the time, so I took a chance.
I still have my IST's, but they haven't saw action in a while. The Hollis fins are great in currents, but also very nice in calmer waters. On the surface, they are much easier then the Jets or Rockets I have used. You can push them as hard as you like in currents and they will respond all the way. The one thing that separates them actually further then performance, because they are very close, is comfort. The F1's are equally bullet proof, but more comfortable as well. Oh, for sure, get open heel or you will sooner or later see your full foot fins pass you by.
Like others have said, Scubapro, or 'good' clones are great. I included the IST Rockets because they are very well made and pretty cheap, about $70 compared to the Hollis F1's $160.
Both will serve you well.

HLSF.jpg
Hollis F1's

product_thumb.php
IST Rockets

Original and Pro model ForceFins are fantastic in the current, they require you to use a natural swimmers kick to be really efficient in current. They are fast and easy to use.

The Excellerator and its brother the Hockey are highly technical and precise fins that do everything that the Originals do, but better, strong, more accurately and faster.

I highly recommend the Original and the Pro to any diver. Don't worry about the higher end models until you know you love ForceFins

I see this explained well with a cycling analogy....Go to a huge cycling event like the Mount Dora Cycling festival....
if there are 6000 cyclists there, 3000 will hit a top speed of about 18 mph as max sustained speed....1000 will hit 20
another 1000 will hit 21. Then, 500 will be able to make 22, 300 will get to 23, 100 will hit 24, 50 riders will hit 25, and 20 will make 27, and a couple may hit 29 mph.
The gears each group will use will be different. The 25 to 29mph groups will use a much bigger gear, easily, than the the largest gear the 18mph riders could use.
With Force fin models, the original model is for the 18mph riders. The Excelerators are for the 25 to 29mph riders.....there are several models in between.

However, with slower cadence, even the excellerators can be well used by the 18 mph crowd :)
With technique, the fins are more spectacular, because the indvidual can get the most out of the fins for themself....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom