Fins for High Insteps & Wide Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HighSeasYoda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have any recommendations for fins that work well with high insteps & wide feet? I wear 9.5 to 10 EE & often have to upsize shoes to get more width and room for the instep. I'm currently in large Scubapro Seawing Novas with basic thin boots and after a couple of dives they really start to dig in to my insteps. Any suggestions on fins that I should take a look at?

Thanks for any help

One of my divers was lusting after Seawing Novas after seeing them on my feet, but when he borrowed mine to try them out, he had the same problem as you with the top edge irritating the top of his foot. He found happiness in Mares Quattros which have a similarly wide pocket, but without coming as high onto the instep.

I'm a 11EEEE and found amazing comfort with ForceFin Pros.

Give OMS slipstreams a try, big foot pocket, good thrust and super light.

Thank y'all very much for the responses. Good to hear someone found a pair that worked for them that was in the same position that I was in. I will definitely look into the quattros. I've been looking at the force fin pros as that sounds like a good solution, but with the recent posts in their forum I can't tell if they are still open. Was looking at going with an extra large and then using the comfort insteps to dial in the fit. Also wasn't sure how well they worked with frog & back kicks - seems like a lot of mixed reviews in that. I've looked a little at OMS, but will take a closer look at the slipstreams now.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I solved the same problem with XS/IDI "Power Fins" sold by divegearexpress.com as "Highland Classic Power Fins. "(size XL)
XSS_FN203_2-125.jpg

Much higher instep than "Jet Fins."
Why do we have the same feet?

Another vote for force fins. If you can try some on before you buy I would highly recommend it as they are expensive and the sizing is a little weird. You can get them used very cheap if you search craigslist. I got a pair of large force fins (regular) for $40. I wear a size 12.5 in running shoes and these were too big barefoot, and too small with any kind of bootie. I ended up buying the comfort instep for $35 and now they fit perfect barefoot. Then I found a pair of XL force fin pros for $30 on craigslist. These fit with my 5mm booties perfectly. Later I picked up a pair of small force fins for my gf who is a size 5.5 and they were a little too big for her barefoot, but fit ok with a 2mm sock.

If you do end up with force fins, here is a tip on the bungie straps. You can buy the bungee terminals for $1 a piece at bass pro shop. Then pick up some marine bungee at your local boat store for $2 or so. For $6 you have bungee straps. For the back part that fits on your achilles, you can use part of an old flip flop or even nothing if you are wearing booties.

Another vote for force fins. If you can try some on before you buy I would highly recommend it as they are expensive and the sizing is a little weird. You can get them used very cheap if you search craigslist. I got a pair of large force fins (regular) for $40. I wear a size 12.5 in running shoes and these were too big barefoot, and too small with any kind of bootie. I ended up buying the comfort instep for $35 and now they fit perfect barefoot. Then I found a pair of XL force fin pros for $30 on craigslist. These fit with my 5mm booties perfectly. Later I picked up a pair of small force fins for my gf who is a size 5.5 and they were a little too big for her barefoot, but fit ok with a 2mm sock.

If you do end up with force fins, here is a tip on the bungie straps. You can buy the bungee terminals for $1 a piece at bass pro shop. Then pick up some marine bungee at your local boat store for $2 or so. For $6 you have bungee straps. For the back part that fits on your achilles, you can use part of an old flip flop or even nothing if you are wearing booties.

Actually ordered a pair of the pro's two days ago!

I'm a 10EEE with a high arch. The Force Fins fit like they were made for me. The Hollis F1's also fit reasonably well if you don't go too tight. I've covered all my bases with those two pairs of fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom