Fins for Red Sea Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the boat has round rungs and not flat steps, you will be happier with boots and open heel fins. Also, the deck can get hot in the summer. Although you can wear neoprene socks with full foot fins, they might also be slippery on the ladder and on the deck.

Don't forget the lycra socks. A week of kicking can wear on your feet and the lycra provides some nice chafe protection.

ALWAYS Booties and a chafe guard like socks. For a week long trip, duct tape for abrasions, always. I've never been in a situation where they did not work. The alternative can be a problem. Why chance it.

So, I've gotten seriously chafed by the internal seams of my booties. I even have scars on either side of both heels. I've never heard of these "chafe protection socks". What are they and how can I find them? If I can't get them in time before my next diving, is there some substitute that I can use? Waterproof athletic tape?

So, I've gotten seriously chafed by the internal seams of my booties. I even have scars on either side of both heels. I've never heard of these "chafe protection socks". What are they and how can I find them? If I can't get them in time before my next diving, is there some substitute that I can use? Waterproof athletic tape?
Just use a neoprene or lycra socks also helps your wetsuit to slide on. The brand I use is "Wetsox" and you can get them on Amazon. I use them with my full foot fins as well and never an issue for me. On my most recent trip to the Red Sea everybody onboard with booties and open heel fins ran the boat out of Band-Aids and medical tape covering up all their blisters.

Nylon socks are OK, but I get better results with heavy wool socks. Sometimes I even double them up.

"chafe protection socks". What are they and how can I find them?
Some people wear any socks or lycra socks, for a weeks diving I wear Shark skin Titanium T2 Chillproof socks inside my booties and open heel fins, a little expensive, worth every penny, and no chafing.
My 2 bubbles.

One more thought. On most long diving trips, I take some very sticky duck tape and wrap it around parts of my foot or toe hotspots that seem to get abused. I'll leave it on, throughout the trip.

Back
Top Bottom