{FIns} Loose or Tied

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I just wonder how loose is loose and how tight is tight :) ?

Basically how do you adjust the straps on your fins ?

Tight enough to not slip around, but but not too tight to give you tingling toes.

That's how I wear mine. I probably have them tighter than average.

Ken

I use spring straps.

One tension fits all!!

M_B once bubbled...
I just wonder how loose is loose and how tight is tight
Most of the time when I was using Jet Fins they would get stuck on my foot so tight at the instep (toes still had wiggle room) that I had great difficulty getting them off and certainly no need for a fin strap at all after just a short time wearing the fin.

However with the larger foot pocket on the Turtle fins I can get my fins off easily. I found that the original strength spring straps that I made for my Jet Fins were not strong enough to hold the Turtles on my foot securely and I was wasting energy moving my foot inside the pocket.

I purchased heavier gauge spring and now the Turtles fit without the excess movement but are still easy to remove.

If I had been using the rubber straps I could have just made the adjustment simply. I prefer springs however. :D

All that said to say this: the strap should be only tight enough to eliminate excessive movement of your foot inside the foot pocket. Don't crank your straps down as tight as possible as this needlessly stresses the straps and at the same time could cut off circulation to your foot/toes.

TIP: If your toes can be forced all the way to the end of the foot pocket by the fin strap then the strap isn't the problem... the fin is not the right one for you. The instep of your foot should be the point of contact. Get a different fin.... wear your wetsuit or drysuit boot in the dive store and try on different fins just like you would a mask. And if you try them on in the store be sure you buy them in the store and not online.

Actually, it ( my question ) is exactly about spring + jet fins combination.
I've been reading DIY section on spring strings and i haven't seen good approach on how to measure the length of the spring strap...
No, i should say : I haven't seen unified approach to this. Smth. like : "for size 11 the spring length should be XXXX. "

Thank you folks for clarifying this for me

the only negative i've heard on a spring strap is if you fit them for rockboots for your drysuit, they might be too big if you want to use them with your wetsuit. no way to tighten them up..........but then again, different diving,different gear....

dutchfin once bubbled...
the only negative i've heard on a spring strap is if you fit them for rockboots for your drysuit, they might be too big if you want to use them with your wetsuit. no way to tighten them up..........but then again, different diving,different gear....

I use Spring Straps on Turtles. Recently, I had the chance to go Snorkling. I simply wore neoprene socks (I have several pair from my Waders) and my rock boots over them.

Once set fits all.

K

dutchfin once bubbled...

I read about this too. But for now i'm not too concern about this - cold is not a friend of us.. so far :D

Back
Top Bottom