Fins, mask, snorkel storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was wondering if you could share your experience about your favorite way of storing fins, mask, and snorkels in the equipment room of your dive center. If you are not working at a dive center, have you ever witnessed a really clever way of a dive center storing these things? I'd like to get some ideas about some best practices regarding storing; how do you store it? do you use wall hangers? how do you mark the sizes? do you hang them in one line or multiple lines based on their sizes? how easy to get them down and put them back? etc...

I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

An interesting question and one which I explored online a while ago when I had an idle moment. I'll limit myself here to the storage of snorkelling fins as I don't scuba dive. The following images of fin storage facilities and methods are from the websites of swimgear companies and snorkel tour operators:

1. Aquam Canadian fin storage system
AQAC83000A07.jpg

Here's the caption: "This wall-mounted unit allows you to hang approximately 30 pairs of fins on its painted stainless-steel rods. It may be mounted either in an equipment storage room or on the pool deck. In order to use this system, grommets must be installed on the fins which is a service we offer."

2. Snorkel Bob shelving system in Hawaii
snorkel-bobs-wailea.jpg

Another shelving example (colour coding is often used in snorkelling fins to indicate size):
Fins-Only-3-1200x800.jpg

3. Aquagym French trolley system
chariot-piscine-range-palme.jpg

4. Tour operator bin systems
src_20057972.jpg

110729200.jpg

IMG_4999.JPG

5. How not to store fins

o.jpg

Mould on fins in a swim cabinet at an American gym.

6. Advice and directives on fin storage

* Avoid unnecessary exposure to sunlight and air.
* Avoid contact with oils and greases, including sun creams and lotions.
* Avoid exposure to heat and contact with hot surfaces.
* Keep in a cool, dark, dry place in a box or bag. Do not distort during storage.

The Russian Standard on fins (GOST 22469-77) is the ony National Standard I know with rules on fin storage: "Rubber fins should be stored in packs in premises with ambient temperature from 0 to 25 ºC at least 1 metre from heat-radiating appliances and should not be exposed to sunlight, oil, petrol and other substances that deplete rubber."

Last edited:
An interesting question and one which I explored online a while ago when I had an idle moment. I'll limit myself here to the storage of snorkelling fins as I don't scuba dive. The following images of fin storage facilities and methods are from the websites of swimgear companies and snorkel tour operators:

1. Aquam Canadian fin storage system
AQAC83000A07.jpg

Here's the caption: "This wall-mounted unit allows you to hang approximately 30 pairs of fins on its painted stainless-steel rods. It may be mounted either in an equipment storage room or on the pool deck. In order to use this system, grommets must be installed on the fins which is a service we offer."

2. Snorkel Bob shelving system in Hawaii
snorkel-bobs-wailea.jpg

Another shelving example:
View attachment 368593

3. Aquagym French trolley system

4. Tour operator bin systems
View attachment 368591

View attachment 368590

View attachment 368592

5. How not to store fins

o.jpg

Mould on fins in a swim cabinet at an American gym.

6. Advice and directives on fin storage

* Avoid unnecessary exposure to sunlight and air.
* Avoid contact with oils and greases, including sun creams and lotions.
* Avoid exposure to heat and contact with hot surfaces.
* Keep in a cool, dark, dry place in a box or bag. Do not distort during storage.

The Russian Standard on fins (GOST 22469-77) is the ony National Standard I know with rules on fin storage: "Rubber fins should be stored in packs in premises with ambient temperature from 0 to 25 ºC at least 1 metre from heat-radiating appliances and should not be exposed to sunlight, oil, petrol and other substances that deplete rubber."

Hi David, this is amazing. Thank you for taking your time to find and attach these pictures. I will save them for future reference. I particularly like #2 and #3. What's your favorite?

Glad to help, Noblesix. I would agree with your choice of #2 and #3, fins on shelves and in trolleys, because they permit an orderly and accessible arrangement of fins.

I'm not so keen on the idea of punching holes through the blades of full-foot fins or throwing fins into bins where the ones at the bottom of the pile are likely to end up irretrievably bent out of shape under the weight of the ones at the top.

David

Glad to help, Noblesix. I would agree with your choice of #2 and #3, fins on shelves and in trolleys, because they permit an orderly and accessible arrangement of fins.

I'm not so keen on the idea of punching holes through the blades of full-foot fins or throwing fins into bins where the ones at the bottom of the pile are likely to end up irretrievably bent out of shape under the weight of the ones at the top.

David

I'm not either. I can't imagine punching holes through my mares or scubapro fins. Those fins in the picture seem like very basic rubber fins for snorkeling. Besides, it will cost more money to buy grommets and the whole puncher.

throwing fins into bins where the ones at the bottom of the pile are likely to end up irretrievably bent out of shape under the weight of the ones at the top.

They have bins in the pool where I work out and it can take minutes of digging in the bin to find a second fin your size. (These are short swim fins with soft foot pockets so bending is less of a concern.)

And I doubt I'd be comfortable punching holes in composite or fiberglass fin blades, nor with having steel rods sticking out of walls at eye level...

They have bins in the pool where I work out and it can take minutes of digging in the bin to find a second fin your size. (These are short swim fins with soft foot pockets so bending is less of a concern.)

And I doubt I'd be comfortable punching holes in composite or fiberglass fin blades, nor with having steel rods sticking out of walls at eye level...
I would hate to do (digging in the bins) that and it looks really unprofessional to customers.

I LOVE the 3rd choice (Aquagym French Trolley system).
The website is in French and when I try putting in my address, the United States is not an option.
How do I get this to America? Help 8-P

Attachments

• chariot-piscine-range-palme.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 244
I LOVE the 3rd choice (Aquagym French Trolley system).
The website is in French and when I try putting in my address, the United States is not an option.
How do I get this to America? Help 8-P

You could try contacting the company and explaining what you have in mind. The company's email address is contact@aquagyms.fr. When I've come across situations like this and have really wanted to buy something that's unavailable in my own country but is available elsewhere, I've occasionally found that somebody in the foreign country is prepared to make an effort to help me complete my purchase.

An easier solution might be to see what is available in the way of pool equipment storage in the USA. A Google search brought up the pool storage page Shop Swimming Pool Storage & Equipment Online | Kiefer Swim Shop at Kiefer.com, which has a long history as an online swim gear supplier in the USA.

Last edited:
It's just a cart with some grating. 4 wheels, 12 pieces of square stock, steel dowels.

Nothing any fab shop can't build in less than a day. See if you have any starving fab guys locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom