• Normal Fins?

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • Split Fins?

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of the Atmomic split fins as well and I really liked them. I personally (personal opinion based on personal experience only) believe that I can get more finning power with less exertion on my part.

That having been said, I have loaned them to people who have hated the split fin experience. At the end of the day, its like a lot of things...you have to go with what is going to make you a more comfortable, safer diver in the water.

Matthew

I recently bought a pair of Aeris Velocity full-foot fins based on the recent Rodale's review (and they were on sale at my LDS). At first I was a bit skeptical about them as they didn't feel sturdy enough to work well.

But was I surprised at the outcome! These things are fast and efficient! I hardly can tell they are on my feet.

I don't always like what Rodale's has to say, but this time they are on the money. The Aeris Velocity fins are great.

Thx...Doug

So far I've loved them. I won't say that they're the best fins in the world that outperform all others, but I will say they do the job well. They're longer and stiffer than normal Force Fins (though I tried someone elses regular Force Fins and liked them too), but I do like these a bit better. Since they're adjustable I can switch from booties to bare foot with the change of a strap. They're incredibly fast, you don't feel them much and I really like the bungee cord straps. I think paddle fins and splits are great too, but I'm pretty happy with these.:)

I first was using Mares Plana Avanti and now moved to the Atomic Spit Fin.

The fit is fantastic on the Atomic's compared to the Avanti's and I get less cramps.

They are just a great fin and not too flexable compared to other split fins.

You have to learn how to use them though

Which fin I use will depend on the task.

I like to consider split fins to be like 5th gear in a car.
I like my atomic splits when I want strait, smooth cruising on a dive.

But, I consider my turtle fins to be like 1st gear in a car. When I want power and manuverability for the dive, I use them.

Doesn't Scubapro make a hybrid of the 2 now? What are they called, the Twin Jet? maybe they are like 3rd gear??? I dunno, I've never tried them.

PS... I can frog kick in splits, so can you...

I like the split fins, granted it took a little getting use to at first but once I did they are great. I had been using the Scubapro Jet Fin before and liked them very much but these are less stress on the legs and get me through the water just a good as the others. But it all comes down to what you like best, not what I like best.

Rich :mean:

The BEST fin is the one that works best for the diver wearing them. Different divers have different styles and needs, and different fins are best for different folks.

Personally, I'm using Mares Plana Avanti fins with DIY spring straps, and I'm very happy with them. I've never tried splits, but I want to check out a few pairs of those, and a pair of Jet Fins before I pass judgement on what I like best.

Jetblast00-

That is the best analogy on the split fin/reg. fin debate I have heard. I think they both have their place but in different conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom