Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made mistakes worse than that. People make mistakes.

Why Divers Do Stupid Things - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

Yesterday I was at a talk by Simon Mitchell who talked about mistakes and conscious violations. One of the examples was also very hard relate to, involving ignoring (ie actively suppressing) alarms and all sorts of forehead slapping stuff.

To really understand how fatal accidents happen you need to ask people who get away with things what they were thinking and why they decided a particular risk was worth taking.

Sure, and at a sky high END, all bets are off, no matter how experienced.

But I was really just replying to a post from a (presumed) non rebreather diver to help with some background context.

Specifically, it's not like when you are diving a rebreather, there is a simple alarm light, and if it fails you will just keep on diving as if nothing was wrong, and you won't know that your PO2 is out of range. I was just saying that even if she was hearing impaired and even if no alert system was activated, there would have been information about the PO2 from two sources.

My point is really that speculation here is a bit pointless. She was very experienced but that does not make her fool proof. People at different levels of experience still make mistakes. Simon’s example yesterday involved old cells and ignoring cell warnings. That is just as hard to believe as what happened here. Lots of accidents involve people doing things which are unbelievable. Reasoning isn’t likely to reveal what they were thinking. For sure I have done stuff underwater I could not explain later, so even if they make it out it might not help.

This thread seems stalled to me. It doesn’t seem to me to matter whether she had 20/20 or air as they are both unsuitable for the eventual depth. All the detail about how CCR divers choose gas is fine to inform shallow OC divers of the extent of how unbelievable this is, but it isn’t telling anyone about why the choice to use that gas at the depth was made.

People make mistakes.

My point is really that speculation here is a bit pointless. She was very experienced but that does not make her fool proof. People at different levels of experience still make mistakes. Simon’s example yesterday involved old cells and ignoring cell warnings. That is just as hard to believe as what happened here. Lots of accidents involve people doing things which are unbelievable. Reasoning isn’t likely to reveal what they were thinking. For sure I have done stuff underwater I could not explain later, so even if they make it out it might not help.

This thread seems stalled to me. It doesn’t seem to me to matter whether she had 20/20 or air as they are both unsuitable for the eventual depth. All the detail about how CCR divers choose gas is fine to inform shallow OC divers of the extent of how unbelievable this is, but it isn’t telling anyone about why the choice to use that gas at the depth was made.

People make mistakes.

The point of the speculation is to help people understand some of the issues involved. Since - unfortunately - CCRs are well represented in A&I, and since most of the people reading A&I are not rebreather divers, it's helpful to explain stuff that seems very basic here, otherwise much of the discussion makes no sense to the majority of the audience.

So it's not so much trying to figure out why she did what she may or may not have done, it's explaining what a rebreather diver normally would see during a typical dive.

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, the point isn't to figure out what happened to Fiona but to start a discussion so that others can learn stuff that they might not have known or considered, based on whatever limited information we have. These threads have certainly helped me that way. But you are right, the thread is stalled...

Solo dive to 300 feet that sounds a pretty risky dive plan. No matter how experienced you are and the nature of your equipment there is always room for things to go wrong, no matter how much redundancy is built into your rebreather equipment.

I have made mistakes worse than that. People make mistakes.

Why Divers Do Stupid Things - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

Yesterday I was at a talk by Simon Mitchell who talked about mistakes and conscious violations. One of the examples was also very hard relate to, involving ignoring (ie actively suppressing) alarms and all sorts of forehead slapping stuff.

To really understand how fatal accidents happen you need to ask people who get away with things what they were thinking and why they decided a particular risk was worth taking.

for anybody who didn’t click on the link above there is a nice presentation embedded in the page posted by Ken above.

Solo dive to 300 feet that sounds a pretty risky dive plan. No matter how experienced you are and the nature of your equipment there is always room for things to go wrong, no matter how much redundancy is built into your rebreather equipment.

One of the things that I know I have found is that as I spend more time doing solo CCR dives, my level of comfort with depth (and the deco obligation that accompanies it) has increased. That said, now I have to know how far my bailout will take me if the worst case scenario occurs - if my rebreather decides it is no longer playing nicely at the deepest part of the dive with the most deco obligation built up - and if I'm approaching the point where I need to turn around because I don't have enough bailout to get me home safely, meaning with a reasonable amount of reserve gas to handle any potential problem. For me, 2 40's would not be enough on a 300' dive, especially given the topography of that site. Even if I were going to be heading to the surface vertically, that's not enough gas for a worst case scenario kind of situation.

It doesn't feel like it at the time, but I've been lucky to have instructors who have taught me just how far my bailout will take me. It felt like I was being punished at the time, having swam for a long way from the dock before turning around and being told that my rebreather was no longer functioning. In hindsight, it is good training to see how quickly your gas goes away at depth. When you've become accustomed to your tank pressure changing minimally as it does when you're on the loop, to see your SPG drop with every breath as you ascend is a wake up call.

An important part of safety engineering is to understand that people will make mistakes, become complacent, get distracted and not pay attention, etc. Safety is about ensuring those things don't lead to catastrophe. An example I was peripherally involved with:

A technician working on equipment attached to airframes was supposed to use new bolts when re-attaching the equipment but, because there was an issue with supply, he started re-using old bolts. He perceived that "a bolt was a bolt", while failing to complete the work on schedule resulted in negative customer feedback and an unhappy manager. Fortunately the company had an auditing system, which quickly flagged the problem. A gap in the training system was identified, and a deficiency in the safety culture of the workplace was revealed. Training happened; no-one lost their job; and the result was a better, safer, and happier company.

Solo diving to 90 m using equipment and gasses outside of accepted best practice seem to me to be fundamentally at odds with safety. On the other hand, I personally believe that people should be allowed to take risks, so long as they had the proper training to understand those risks, and they aren't endangering other people, who hadn't signed up for the risk. Again, as a personal thing, I stopped taking those risks once I had kids.

Maybe recreational divers need to acknowledge that there are some parts of the sport that fall outside of safe practise, and there are things they do that simply wouldn't be acceptable in commercial or military diving.

Maybe you need better buddies. I have several buddies I would absolutely trust below 300'.
I have a few as well. Cold water limits the pool of buddies more than depth actually

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom