Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the resort has decided to discourage the practice from their dock, I'll respect that.
To my knowledge, you are on your own unless you are in one of their classes, being guided by a BD person, or diving from their boat.

Wow, that is a bit disconcerting. I have never had that experience at Buddy, diving recreational singles, or doubles with bottles. But, I have not been there the past two years.

I am curious - were these 'staff' people, or just other divers that told you that?Yeah, that's the beauty of Bonaire. It would really be disappointing, though, if there really has been a policy shift at Buddy. The reason that I always stay at Buddy, is the convenience of diving on the house reef - with others, AND BY MYSELF.

VERY WELL STATED!

Most of them were other divers who were at Tek Week. One guy told me I should wait an hour so he could go with me. When I got back from my dive 3+ hours later he was getting back in the water...I told him he should wait an hour for me :D

Until recent events in my life, I have only refrained from solo CCR night dives (at the request of my wife). Now I don't have any restrictions so I'm definitely disappointed if Buddy has enacted that kind of policy.

I would like to get down to that second reef at Buddy, I won't do it solo though. Maybe I can talk Mr. G into getting me there.

To my knowledge, you are on your own unless you are in one of their classes, being guided by a BD person, or diving from their boat.

I sincerely hope this is the case.

Well if you are being guided by BD person, it ain’t a solo dive.

I've seen more people solo diving here than anywhere I've been. [snip] Out of maybe 7 solo divers I've seen total only one had a redundant air source. I've never seen a backup mask or a place to put one on any of the divers. I didn't look for redundancy in computers or a backup analog gauge and watch.

I assume you are describing solo sport divers (no deco profiles, no overhead) in tropical conditions... And they must have redundant air source, mask, gauges, etc? That's because they can run into unexpected trouble with their equipment at any moment of time without forewarning and must resolve it right there and then since they have no direct access to the surface? On the other hand, should they have been diving with a buddy, they wouldn't need said equipment redundancy because their buddy will be there to rescue them?

I assume you are describing solo sport divers (no deco profiles, no overhead) in tropical conditions... And they must have redundant air source, mask, gauges, etc? That's because they can run into unexpected trouble with their equipment at any moment of time without forewarning and must resolve it right there and then since they have no direct access to the surface?

... after they've completed the 300 m swim all the way back to the pier.

@CuzzA's pix from a year ago might be worth reposting for those not familiar with the site.

capture-jpg.546857.jpg

I made a similar dive on open circuit trimix from the Den Lamen dock. The difference was that I swam out to what seemed like the middle of the channel and did a free descent. From there, I swam back to the inner reef. There was nothing there except the odd rock. It was a really long swim back.

I really don’t know why anyone would want to do that. In my case it was to commemorate a friend who had died swimming along the bottom out towards the second reef. Like Fiona Sharp, he too had some issue. Unlike her, he did not make it back to the inner reef and died on the ascent in the middle of the channel.

Andre from the old Bonaire Dive and Adventure group told me that the second reef / slope was really far out there. He was correct.

Andre from the old Bonaire Dive and Adventure group told me that the second reef / slope was really far out there. He was correct.
I don't think there is a second reef out from Buddy Dive, at least not like there is out from Angel City or Alice in Wonderland. If you go far enough, however, you come to the slope leading up to Klein Bonaire.

I don't think there is a second reef out from Buddy Dive, at least not like there is out from Angel City or Alice in Wonderland. If you go far enough, however, you come to the slope leading up to Klein Bonaire.

If you haven’t been out there, you shouldn’t talk at all.

There is almost nothing between the two reefs. The second reef is not a huge reef like you are referring too, but rather an increased slope with some coral / rocks. You can clearly see where the second reef is on the diagram. However, I have not been past the second reef so, I won’t talk about what’s past there.

If you haven’t been out there, you shouldn’t talk at all.
What are you so puffed up about?
There is almost nothing between the two reefs. The second reef is not a huge reef like you are referring too, but rather an increased slope with some coral / rocks. You can clearly see where the second reef is on the diagram. However, I have not been past the second reef so, I won’t talk about what’s past there.
I guess I misunderstood you. I was assuming you meant an area of decreasing depth, not just a steep slope continuing downwards.
You are right, I have only been to about 165 ft in that area, whereas I guess you are speaking of the area beyond 300 ft depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom