Fire Coral.....help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slb921

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was stung by fire coral about two weeks ago and its still very red and painful. Does anyone know how long this will last???

From my experiences with fire coral, the itching/hurting is usually gone after about a week tops, but the area can stay discolored (scar like) for a while after that. For me, the pain was always gone well within two weeks!

I believe they usually recommend using something like vinegar to kill any remaining stinging cells, applying heat to try to denature some of the toxin, and then applying something like hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation if needed, but that is all right after the incident happens. Since it's been two weeks (and I'm guessing you've washed the area), it is unlikely that there are still stinging cells present...

I've heard that some people react more severely to it and may experience discomfort for weeks/re-occurrence. These cases sometimes require medical treatment since the sting has gotten infected. Depending on how severe the pain is/how large of an area is affected, you might want to have it looked at!

Happened to me once, and took a few months. If it's red, it's likely infected now and will probably get worse. Try scrubbing the wound with a toothbrush to remove foreign material. [Yeah, it hurts.] Though readily treated with antibiotics, few doctors have experience with ocean wounds. You may need a medicine they may not normally prescribe. I had that happen, and they had to take tissue samples to determine the actual infection, and in turn decide what to prescribe.

That was the last time I ever did swimsuit diving.

The redness for me can last 3-4 weeks but the pain lasts less than a week or even a few days. We use hydrocortisone. My wife has brought the "welts" back up with bug spray within a few weeks of the sting. I still have a tiny red spot on a finger from 4 years ago from fire coral- that one got me good.

It happened to me too and the pain lasted longer than I expected. I used vinegar and it helped but to get rid of the scar- you need to buy coconut lotion and put it on at least twice a day for about a year- no kidding. Cocnut lotion is cheap- you can get a big bottle or jar of it at Walmart for less than $5.00- it works better than the scar creams that are also sold.

It was about 10 days after that I wanted to cut my leg off. It started around day 6 and peaked around day 10. I started with Benadryl and vinegar the day of, and I ended up using a combination of Benadryl (topical and oral), hydrocortisone and calamine (I was desperate) when it hit full force. It took about 24-hours after that to calm down.

Very good to know about the coconut oil. I definitely have scars.

And I will never dive in a swimsuit again, either. Never ever.

Here's a useful list I clipped from DAN [I think] a while back:

V. Hazardous Marine Life Injuries Not Requiring Transport

Coral and Barnacle Cuts

Stop bleeding
Clean well with a brush, soap and water
Alcohol or vinegar flush
Scrub and debride foreign particles
Bed rest, elevation, antibiotics for severe cuts
Be aware of danger of anaerobic infection and clostridial infection
Topical antibiotics

Coelenterate Injury (fire coral, hydroids, Jellyfish, sea wasps, sea anemones)
Injury all caused by nematocysts
Flush with alcohol or vinegar or dilute household ammonia (1:3 water)
Flush with saline or sea water, no fresh water
Meat tenderizer
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory cream (where available, Not in USA)
Pain relief, sedation, diphenhydramine
Be aware of possible severe systemic reactions
Shaving cream, shave or flush

Sea Lice [Caused by nematocysts in Thimble jellyfish larvae]
Remove clothing
They should be flushed off with sea water-not rubbed off
or washed off with fresh water or they will fire off
Spraying on shaving cream and washing the cream off along with the nematocysts

Echinoderms (Sea Urchins)
The small black dots may not be the tips of the spines but dye and will be eventually absorbed by the body
Hot water 30 minutes
Do not beat or pound the part to "crush" the spines
Surgical removal is indicated only if a granuloma (hard knot) is formed or if it gets infected and needs pus to be drained
NSAID for anti inflammatory effect and pain relief
Topical antibiotics

Sponges
Deactivate toxins, acetic acid 5%, 10-15 minutes
or isopropyl alcohol soaks for 10 minutes
Sticky side of adhesive tape
Repeat soaks and tape
Steroid cream

Segmented Worms, Bristle Worms
Acetic acid (Vinegar) to bites of blood worms
Remove bristles with forceps or adhesive tape
several times, ammonia 3:1, isopropyl alcohol

Batfish Punctures
Remove any residue
Hot water immersion 30 minutes

Starfish Injuries
Debride
Soap and water scrub and rinse
Monitor for infection

Catfish Injuries
Debride
Rinse with soap and water

There are two reactions.

The first is the immediate tissue injury and poisoning from the nematocysts. The cell stingers quite literally penetrate the skin and release a toxin. The use of vinegar is to deactivate any remaining cells that have not yet been activated. After it is safer to remove the stingers with less chance triggering remaining cells.

The second is an allergic reaction to the toxin. Depending upon the patient you can have mild or severe reaction. Also the type of toxin released dictates the severity of the reaction. You will also see the inflammatory response with red, pain, swelling, and itching. Generally last about two weeks or so but the actual discoloration may last for months before fading. Over the counter hydrocortisone cream is helpful but your doctor would be able prescribe something more potent. There is an NSAIDs/anti-inflammatory cream available is the US but also is prescription only called voltaren gel.

I doubt there is an active infection but it is impossible to diagnose unless an MD sees the actual rash. You would only need a biopsy for culture if doesn't respond initial antibiotics. If often seen patients misdiagnosed with infections. I suspect the doctor was more or less just agreeing with the patient's original diagnosis because it's easier to give you the rx you expect and get you out the door.

Use an OTC hydrocortisone cream and if doesn't get better get a stronger one from your MD. Calamine lotion OTC may also give you some relief from the itching.

---------- Post Merged at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:17 AM ----------

PS there is also an OTC cream called mederma that may also help fade the scarring and discoloration.

Meat tenderizer, made into a paste with water, and applied to the sore several times was the only treatment that cleared up my lingering reaction to fire coral.
The sore began healing soon after the first treatment and did not recur. I do have a light scar years later.

Meat tenderizer is on the DAN list above, and you can learn more by reading the papain article on Webmd.

Good luck! Hope you can clear it up soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom